Topic: Dynamic Bone Issue (Cloth)

I'm having an issue with the dynamic bone plugin - Basically when i set up the root bone for the cloth simulation, everything works in the editor..BUT when I run the game, the character remains in a t-pose without any animation.

Is there a specific way that cloth bones are meant to be set up so that they don't affect the character animations??

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Dynamic Bone Issue (Cloth)

What is your root bone?  You're not useing the models root are you?  I believe Dynamic Bone prevents mecanim animations from affecting the hierarchy of bones including and beneath the targeted bone.  So if you set it to the left hand the hand and fingers wouldn't get animated I think, so if you set it to the uppermost bone nothing would animate.  Only thing I can think of.  I've used it without problems.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

What is your root bone?  You're not useing the models root are you?  I believe Dynamic Bone prevents mecanim animations from affecting the hierarchy of bones including and beneath the targeted bone.  So if you set it to the left hand the hand and fingers wouldn't get animated I think, so if you set it to the uppermost bone nothing would animate.  Only thing I can think of.  I've used it without problems.

The root bone is the first bone at the top of the cloth (a superhero cape). When I play it in viewport it works, but when I run it in UFE it just sits in the t-pose.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4 (edited by christougher 2018-03-23 14:07:01)

But everything works fine if you disable or even remove the Dynamic Bone component?  Let's make sure it is the dynamic bone component screwing things up and not something else. This sounds more like a problem with the avatar, animals or a missed setting somewhere because I've had the same problem myself...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

But everything works fine if you disable the Dynamic Bone component?

Yes, everything works fine if it is disabled. Is it ok for the cloth bones to be underneath other bones in the hierarchy? For example, is it ok if the cloth bones are under the spine bones, or do they have to be at the top of the entire hierarchy..

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think that's fine. I think it will just override the animation. I'll check when I get a chance. Have you asked the dynamic bone dev? Super helpful guy...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

7 (edited by christougher 2018-03-23 15:10:37)

Yeah, I can target the dynamic bone anywhere as it doesn't force a t-pose. It just makes it wobbly... Even if I target the spine, the whole body just shakes like jello.  Kinda funny actually

https://vimeo.com/261546932

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

Yeah, I can target the dynamic bone anywhere as it doesn't force a t-pose. It just makes it wobbly... Even if I target the spine, the whole body just shakes like jello.  Kinda funny actually

https://vimeo.com/261546932

I still couldn't get it to work so i decided to try rigging it from scratch and it seems to work now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down