Topic: Help! Android build fails on startup (v1.8.4)

Hello all,

I'm trying to create the Android version of my app using UFE3D v1.8.4 via Unity 2017.3. I'm able to create the iOS version with no issue. However, when doing a 'Build and Run' with Android platform, I'm getting no errors in the Unity console. However, the app crashes before it loads the 'splash' screen. I've tried seeing if I could fine anything via Android 'monitor/logcat', but I'm only seeing that the 'app' procIDs are shutting down. I know in version 1.7.1 the following was fixed:

-Fixed black screen of death when exporting to Android
-Fixed fade-in screen transition freezing the game on Android

However, I'm guessing these are similar to what I'm seeing. I'm relatively new to the platform, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2 (edited by christougher 2018-04-04 05:18:37)

Re: Help! Android build fails on startup (v1.8.4)

Same here... barely flashes the UFE logo screen and crashes almost instantly on Android.  Using UFE 1.8.4 and Unity 2017.3.0f3.  Android 7.0 build target...

Edit... also happens on latest 2017 (2017.3.1p4)

but on my other computer I believe I was able to build 1.8.4 with the 2018 beta a few days ago... hmmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've even tried reinstalling / re-downloading all of the Android SDK and NDK files just to be sure and got the same result. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4 (edited by christougher 2018-04-04 23:51:39)

I've built a 'vanilla' UFE project with UFE 1.8.4 on Unity 2017.4.0f1 (available on Unity Hub) as well as Unity 2017.3.1p4 and 2018 beta with no issues.  Not quite sure what could be causing my main project to crash like this...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I was able to build my project just fine once I removed some AR stuff from my scene...  try looking at maybe something else causing this crash.  Odd that we'd have the same problem at the same time...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm, only time I've had a similar crash is if my project was making my device run out of memory or low on memory as soon as it begins to load, which would force it to close. If a vanilla project works but yours doesn't, it's a project related issue. Is your main project very large?

I've also been able to avoid crashes by enabling Multithreaded Rendering under the Player Settings of Android, try giving that a try.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, my issue was actually an incomplete android plugin.  When I fixed that everything worked fine.  So @HardyM02 I'd suggest maybe looking at your android plugins as well, maybe remove and reimport those...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I started fresh on the project. I ported over the assets little by little and was able to create the Android version successfully! I think I was able to shave down the download size as well and looking to re-export/test for iOS now. Thank you all for your tips and help!

Thumbs up Thumbs down