Topic: Weapons question

Before starting, I must say I've already checked the forums for this subject.
I'm currently researching on how to add weapons to the characters and therefore unique animations for each weapon. As far as I'm concerned there are plenty of methods, some more requiring more precise work than others. I'm asking if its possible for a character to have all the weapons inside the rig but switch their visibility using the "Body Parts Visibility Change". If that was okay, I only have one question remaining: then how do I switch the weapons to be invisible from the beginning of the game? I'm not the modeler, just the developer (in case some info it's extremely precise for 3d artists).
Asking here because already been doing some research and can't find my cup of tea on this subject.
Thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Weapons question

There's a few topics that already talk about similar things.

http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=586
and
http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=883

to name two.

In short you can use the Body Part system to help in hiding the visibility of the weapons at the start of the match I presume.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by christougher 2018-07-06 19:02:59)

How many weapons are you looking to have?  You could have a different stance for each kind of weapon to use unique move sets, but then you're limited to like 10(?) stances without modifying code.

Will you be switching weapons on the fly mid round? Or are you like trying to pick a single weapon before the round to have equipped already? 

How will you be doing mirroring in your global options? Are you ok with player 2's back facing the camera? This matters because switching which hands the weapons are in isn't necessary if the player on the right had his back towards the main camera. 

Also I don't think you need the weapons built into the rig, but probably just saved in the prefab how you want them...

Also have you watched my video tutorial? Weapons and UFE are complicated...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

How many weapons are you looking to have?  You could have a different stance for each kind of weapon to use unique move sets, but then you're limited to like 10(?) stances without modifying code.

Will you be switching weapons on the fly mid round? Or are you like trying to pick a single weapon before the round to have equipped already? 

How will you be doing mirroring in your global options? Are you ok with player 2's back facing the camera? This matters because switching which hands the weapons are in isn't necessary if the player on the right had his back towards the main camera. 

Also I don't think you need the weapons built into the rig, but probably just saved in the prefab how you want them...

Also have you watched my video tutorial? Weapons and UFE are complicated...

In a perfect scenario, my thing would be: choose character > choose weapon for him > play the game with a unique animation with that weapon available. But to reach that I surely need coding, and as far as I could do this in a custom project I feel lost inside the UFE coding system...

Answering the facing camera thing, we're using the Legacy system, so riggs mirror correctly (was a pain to solve that).

I've been looking inside 2 weapon tutorials I found in these forums (maybe one is yours?) but as you can see now I'm sure you understand there are of little use for me right now.

Sorry to ask so much, it's just this is kinda beyond me.

Thanks for your time!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

5 (edited by christougher 2018-07-09 02:19:08)

First off... do you have source?

Sooo… will you have more then 10 weapons(i.e. stances)?  10 or less could fit into one character file... any more and you'd need to modify the code to support more stances or maybe just have multiple character files???

I wonder if there is a way to change a character's intro move on the fly.  If so you could have the characters perform a weapon specific intro such as drawing a gun, bow or sword and transition to the correct stance...

Also I ask about mirroring because if you have the player on the right (P2) side with his/her back slightly towards the camera (the UFE Global__ Character Rotation Options__ AutoMirror bool)  then you don't have to worry about the complicated switching of which hand is holding the weapon and hitboxes... see some of the vids from this showcase for what I mean.... http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=556   this is a DRASTICALLY less complicated way to go.  If you don't have the mirroring set this way and the sword in your right hand with a right handed swing animation then you will have an empty left handed swing while the right hand still holds the sword when mirrored on the player2 side...  hence my approach with my Skeletor tutorial mentioned above.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

First off... do you have source?

Sooo… will you have more then 10 weapons(i.e. stances)?  10 or less could fit into one character file... any more and you'd need to modify the code to support more stances or maybe just have multiple character files???

I wonder if there is a way to change a character's intro move on the fly.  If so you could have the characters perform a weapon specific intro such as drawing a gun, bow or sword and transition to the correct stance...

Also I ask about mirroring because if you have the player on the right (P2) side with his/her back slightly towards the camera (the UFE Global__ Character Rotation Options__ AutoMirror bool)  then you don't have to worry about the complicated switching of which hand is holding the weapon and hitboxes... see some of the vids from this showcase for what I mean.... http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=556   this is a DRASTICALLY less complicated way to go.  If you don't have the mirroring set this way and the sword in your right hand with a right handed swing animation then you will have an empty left handed swing while the right hand still holds the sword when mirrored on the player2 side...  hence my approach with my Skeletor tutorial mentioned above.

Yes! I have the source one. I had the idea of using stances, and in fact It looks like a great idea, but I don't know where to start to add more than 10 stances. And the rest you said.. We'll see on the way big_smile !

Thumbs up Thumbs down