Topic: UFE 2.3 News and Patreon

First, some good news:
After many years, UFE is finally ready to fully support 3D arena style game play. That means games like Tekken and Dead or Alive will finally be able to be made using the tool.

The feature is still under heavy testing and it might take a few months before its available for general audiences.
Here is a video example of the work in progress (unlisted in the channel):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0rexamM-yI
(WIP Feature available for Enterprise and Tier 4+ Patreons)

About Patreon
This Patreon was created to offer premium support and access to exclusive content. We hope to offer not only additional services, but a continue stream of video tutorials and overall better support to all UFE users.
Sales can often be volatile, and that alone can't cover all the services we wish to offer. Patreon is a way to solve investment problems and slopes from sales while continuing offering free services on the long run. Customers that can afford a small donation a month will receive special support, exposure, priority on feature request and even repository access (replacing the old Enterprise solution).

If we reach the first tier goal I'll be able to afford Matt Ponton's work on video tutorials and keep developing new features from our road map:
https://trello.com/b/ec0qirJy/roadmap

If we reach other goals, I'll even be able to hire a second programmer, making updates even faster.

Please, help me help you wink

Patreon Page:
https://www.patreon.com/mindstudios

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

Re: UFE 2.3 News and Patreon

Raising my hand for the tag team, cant wait! smile And that surprise Smash omg i think i need to learn how to play that game in the future..

Goodluck with the patreon campaign mistermind. smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Cool addition! I hope to try it out someday! Also, are four player battles coming soon? I’ve been waiting soooo long to see them, to the point where I wanted to code in my own with Source.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

camtheman wrote:

Cool addition! I hope to try it out someday! Also, are four player battles coming soon? I’ve been waiting soooo long to see them, to the point where I wanted to code in my own with Source.

It might take a while. The feature I'm currently working on is the 3D arena style game play. 4-player is a bit down the line, and development is highly dependable on the success of this campaign.

5 (edited by 0massimo0 2019-09-18 02:07:05)

I believe that the people who are creating a game including me with this wonderful engine with enormous potential, we must advertise the engine to attract as many people as possible and so that you can have more funds to improve it

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

count me in !! I really want to support this amazing engine, you've done an amazing job on it.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I am very sorry to hear the issues at hand @Mistermind, I have a solution, hopefully you are willing to hear me out, the problem isn't the greatness of UFE 2 Source, though I would say a heavily detailed PDF with all the Tutorials possible would be amazing, in fact I would say why not sell a PDF Book with as much tips, & Tricks for the engine as possible from making 3d, 2.5D fighters to 2D fighters, with a step by step approved by the most respected UFE members.

(Solution); Now the biggest hurtle the UFE 2 has to over come is the fact that the engine is a fighting Game engine as in it is not as varied nor as big of a genera as first & 3rd Person shooter game engines, nor racing, platformers, & so on as in it isn't a genera of gaming that is often made by the mainstream nor AA-AAA. Also most companies that make fighting games such as Capcom, Arc System Works, Namco Bandi, & others have there own engine,  as in they wont be using UFE 2 to begin with as they have their own, sure there are indie creators using it to make some games that have come & gone but no major hit has come out that has used UFE that have had mainstream success.

Now here is what I'm proposing, I say that those who have purchased the UFE 2 Source & very accredited UFE users should be apart of the UFE Council, that will help fund & prepare a game made using UFE with each Council Member able to place $150-$250 in the development of that game as well as the ability to help in the development of the game be it through marketing, programming, directing, & aid in providing assets after all a lot of us here have hundreds of gaming assets for unity that we can easily share to make a great game. With 5%-10% of the sales of the game going back to UFE Development to ensure that the engine continues to be innovated & supported. Also some help in the development of the game will have to be provided by the UFE development.

The reason for all this is that UFE the template needs a successful game & a way the community that is focused on developing a game can succeed & by developing games with UFE & the profits would also go back into those that help develop the game. Even games in development such as Fighting Generations, could be voted & approved by the UFE Council for aid in funding. Now the funding from the UFE Council would be to get the game in a far more playable state & to help in getting it funded using a fund raiser site such as indie Go Go, Kick Starter & so on.

UFE needs a hit game that must sell at leaastt 100,0000 - 500,000 units to become a far more established brand, which can lead to licensing deals to develop games for bigger publishers such as DC, Marvel, Disney, Japanese Brands, WebToons, & much more, also we can publish the game under UFEG = Universal Fighting Engine Games with an LLC I'm currently in contact with. Now instead of steam we could publish the games in itch.io since itch is far more royalty friendly then both steam & epic & is far less saturated with games. And we can register for a Microsoft Developer ID, so we can publish the game on the Xbox & since Microsoft Has game pass it would be playable everywhere.

Well what do you all think, also we can create a Forum Category for UFE developers to submit there game for funding, with the understanding that the UFE Council would help fund it & be in charge of development & sales.

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

I almost forgot that we would also share & promote the UFE Patreon though I wonder why not Subscribe Star just a question. Also to promote UFE members would have to start creating video, & or PDF Step by steps which we can upload to the official UFE Youtube once approved by you Mistermind, UFE would have to start creating video challenges to replicate fighting games in a video tutorial & or PDF tutorial we would need to over hall how UFE is promoted through socail media, & update tutorials at a constant enough pace, I would gladly help out on how we can increase awareness of the engine

Thumbs up Thumbs down

9 (edited by zbrusher 2019-09-26 21:58:29)

Hi Mistermind,

I added my pledge to patreon, and it seems that the Discord channel or rather server is not yet created? - I can't access it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

zbrusher wrote:

Hi Mistermind,

I added my pledge to patreon, and it seems that the Discord channel or rather server is not yet created? - I can't access it.

That Discord direct connection is still a mystery to me. I'll manually add you to the channel. I also sent you a private Patreon message. Thanks for the pledge!

revenge wrote:

I almost forgot that we would also share & promote the UFE Patreon though I wonder why not Subscribe Star just a question.

There are several services similar to Patreon. I just choose the most popular one.
This is less about mass promotion, more about funding the services I'd like to provide. UFE is a well known tool, but the current method for selling it is risky and deteriorates in the long run. Monthly pledges can guarantee a certain level of stability and open the door for higher end development cycles.

Well I agree that it has its issues with selling it & earning a profit but due to the fact that this is a fighting genre the piece of the pie will never be as great as other genres that are more mast produced. The key to making UFE more profitable is to increase its potential mass awareness. I know that Capcom, Arcsystem works, Namco Bandi, Sega, & other publishers have in house engines of their own, but to increase the adaption rate we have to prove that UFE 2 source is worth abandoning be it Unreal, & their own in house engines. The only way to do so is to prove that this engine can be mainstream yet save them money &  ease development  @Mistermind. Now I'm going to outline a few ways this can be accomplished.

1) You need to develop a PDF for sale if need be that demonstrates & has as much detail on development as possible that covers cloning & creating staples of the fighting game genre, be it recreating street fighter 4-5, 2D fighters such as Street Fighter 2, Street fighter puzzle fighter, Blaz Blue, Skull Girls, MK 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, & now that you have full 3d movement Teken, Dead or Alive, Soul Caliber, & so on. Yes its great to add new updates but if there isn't a detailed way to learn to use the engine without asking for help as the first resort the features the more that are added become more of a hurtle for new & intermediate users, & only ensures that UFE 2 appeals to only established users & not towards gaining new users, which in the end decreases the adaption rate, if UFE 2 is seen as the easiest tool to make a fighting game it will be easier to sell it. As for the Manuel you can sell it on Amazon which will make it even more appealing as it would show up on a main stream store.

2) You need to create a detailed video tutorial series that will turn a beginner to a master of UFE for sale, you can sell it on Udemy, but I would advice selling it on Unity Learning platform to further establish that it is a key template to creating fighting games, it doesn't matter if its 5-24 hours long it needs to be made @Mistermind to have more exposure for the engine & easier understanding.

3) You can arrange that these tutorials as well as the future of the engine can be aided by supporting the patreon page.

4) We need to form that council I previously mentioned to vote & support a game being made with UFE 2, even if it is a fan made project, UFE needs far more mainstream appeal, & with the genre being as limited as it is we need to produce a game that can potentially attract the eyes of the public & publishers at large. Remember Virtual Fighter hasn't had a sequel in years, & other fighting games so there is a high chance that UFE might be the key to it. We need to support a game being developed that is going to sell within 6 months of release 100,000-250,000 units that can maintain 25,000 over 100,000 players a month online if its an original game, as for a fan made free to download game after 6 months it needs a download of 50,000-250,000 after six months of release with 10,000 over 50,000 players online a month.

5) A fan made game would be great for exposure, but to make profit @Mistermind we need to develop a game that is original & made from the UFE community council, with a 5%-10% royalty going to you @Mistermind the creator of UFE, & with my marketing knowledge it isn't really that hard to reach out to a youtuber & have them advertise the game before launching a fund raiser to fund it. UFE has a future its the best engine I know available to make a fighting game, & I understand that you are planing on getting it on unreal eventually though I would say support for Gedot Engine & Cry Engine should be first since they support C# then I would port it to unreal, because someone is already has a fighting engine on unreal no where near UFE but in time who know. If you can't prove that UFE is mainstream then there is no way it will have a high adaption rate I mean not even Blade Strangers was made with UFE, I don't mean any disrespect I'm just saying that we can either make UFE mainstream or wish its mainstream

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

How much time is left for the next update?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

0massimo0 wrote:

How much time is left for the next update?

No ETA yet. This is going to be a big update so lots of tests are needed. Currently only people with access to the repository can access the new features.

Can't wait for the 3D arenas!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi wink, Are there still many months before the new update is released?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll be honest, the Patreon is a good idea. But as a new user to UFE, the current tutorials need work.

If there was a Patreon level to have a tutorial made, I would sign up. Selecting a feature isn't much of kick back.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nishi wrote:

I'll be honest, the Patreon is a good idea. But as a new user to UFE, the current tutorials need work.

If there was a Patreon level to have a tutorial made, I would sign up. Selecting a feature isn't much of kick back.

Actually the main reason for the Patreon is to finance tutorials. I have to pay for the work on the videos, and sales alone isn't covering the costs.

Mistermind wrote:

Actually the main reason for the Patreon is to finance tutorials. I have to pay for the work on the videos, and sales alone isn't covering the costs.

That's kind of what I mean. Have a level where people can vote on what they want a video to be about, instead of getting a vote on a new feature.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i think the current tutorials are quite nice, i got started on UFE with the first ones only, and then i made some tutorials as well.

Me encontraste en un negro camino como un peregrino sin rumbo ni fe, pero la luz de tus ojos divinos cambió mi suerte por dicha y placer.

Nishi wrote:

That's kind of what I mean. Have a level where people can vote on what they want a video to be about, instead of getting a vote on a new feature.

I see what you mean. You are suggesting a more organized way to vote for upcoming video tutorials (like a poll).
At the moment, since our list of patrons is relatively small, we are just using discord to arrange discussions to what comes next.
As soon as we reach our first goal I'll start adding monthly polls on discord for video tutorials.

Hey MM, sent you a Skype message with a little pressie smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hi

I want to know if by subscribing to patreon (platinium) I can access the source version of UFE2?

Thanks smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sinmuxoqdecir wrote:

Hi

I want to know if by subscribing to patreon (platinium) I can access the source version of UFE2?

Thanks smile

You don't have to subscribe to patreon to get access to the source version. UFE 2 Source is available directly for purchase here:
http://u3d.as/1hgZ

Patreon Platinum is for users who already own the source version and are interested in the repository access for extra features such as the arena style game play.