Topic: Unity 5

Unity 5 is now available.

Im downloading it now to have a look.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Unity 5

awesome!!, Waiting for news! big_smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Licence activation seems to be down at the moment, Im guessing that loads of people are trying to activate smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

not runing ufe sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We had some unexpected delays, but I'm already on it. I'll be prioritizing a fix for Unity 5 over the current version of UFE (1.5). Expect some news very soon.

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

6 (edited by mayureshete 2015-03-04 02:53:29)

Ufe is running stable on  my computer on unity5, I have source version...

Edit: it gives some errors while compiling the game.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a few questions regarding unity5 update,

• will upgrading the current project will update all the scripts and we lose all the changes we have done  ?

• If we back up all the currently made character files with moves separately and then add them in the updated ufe will those character files work in the new version.

• what's the approx ETA for unity 5 compatible version update

I need to decide weather to complete my game on unity 4.6 or wait for unity 5 compatible update, it all depends on how much rework iI will have to do...

Thank you... smile

waiting 4 reply patiently...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

8 (edited by Mistermind 2015-03-05 04:04:44)

I just ran a few tests with the Bundle version.
To make sure I had full control of Unity 5 conversion I used a clean GIT repository and the latest public version of UFE (1.5). I also ran separate commits for each step of the way.
Unity 5 has 2 update stages. The first one seems obligatory (the options are "Update Project" and "Quit"), and it changes a few files on the Library and ProjectSettings folder.
The second update (with the options "I Made a Backup, Go Ahead" and "No Thanks") updates the scripts from UFE and any others you might have. As far as changes to UFE goes, Unity 5 seems to only have made minor changes to how components are read (basically replacing all quick component references with GetComponent), which doesn't have any direct impact on the engine. If you miss this update you can click on Assets -> Run API Updater....

As far as demo goes, everything ran just fine. The only thing worth mentioning is Mike's fireball which seems to miss sometimes, but it looks like it can be fixed with some minor changes to the move file.

I still have to run more tests, but by tomorrow I should have a much better analysis (as well as tests for the PRO version), but if you guys have any reports to share, it can certainly help speed whatever needs to be fixed.

Remember: I need both console report and instructions on how to trigger the bug. Also make sure the problem is replicable on a clean build of UFE 1.5.

EDIT: There seems to be a problem with Mecanim animations under Move Editor -> Animation Preview. I'll keep you all updated.

9 (edited by mayureshete 2015-03-05 11:54:47)

These are the errors i get while building for android, I have made sure the problem can be replicable on a clean build of UFE 1.5.

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(764,99): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(765,100): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(777,125): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(788,126): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Animation preview wont work on mecanim jaon and robot kyle but works on Legacy Mike

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

About the Mecanim Animation Preview problem:
I did some long research on this, but so far no luck. It seems like a key internal Unity method (AnimationClip.SampleAnimation) is ignoring Mecanim animations without even showing a console error. I tried some different approaches to this (like using AnimationMode.SampleAnimationClip), but they all end up with the same result.

Since U5 is new there are very few posts about internal errors like that, but I'll keep trying to figure out alternatives. It seems like we will need feedback from Unity devs as well, so that may take a while.

For those working with Mecanim Animations I recommend sticking with Unity 4.5/4.6 for now. I'll keep you guys updated on any discovery.

So is there any manual way I can fix those other errors while compiling to android platform...?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mayureshete wrote:

These are the errors i get while building for android, I have made sure the problem can be replicable on a clean build of UFE 1.5.

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(764,99): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(765,100): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(777,125): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Assets/UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs(788,126): error CS0619: `UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices.AddComponent(UnityEngine.GameObject, string, string)' is obsolete: `Method is not meant to be used at runtime. Please, replace this call with GameObject.AddComponent<T>()/GameObject.AddComponent(Type).'

Animation preview wont work on mecanim jaon and robot kyle but works on Legacy Mike

Humm, it seems there is a small conflict with some of the code we left in preparation for the Networking Option.

If you have the Source or Bundle version of UFE, open UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs and search for this code (line 759):

if (UFE.isNetworkAddonInstalled){

Now lets disable that segment by commenting it.  On that same line add  /* before it begins, and on line 767 and */ before "}". It should look something like this:

/*if (UFE.isNetworkAddonInstalled){
    NetworkView network = this.gameObject.AddComponent<NetworkView>();
    network.stateSynchronization = NetworkStateSynchronization.Off;
    Network.sendRate = 1f / (float)UFE.config.fps;

UFE.localPlayerController = UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices....
    UFE.remotePlayerController = UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices....
    network.observed = UFE.remotePlayerController;
}*/

I'm looking into the PRO and Basic version right now. Stay tuned for more updates.

Mistermind wrote:

If you have the Source or Bundle version of UFE, open UFE/Scripts/UFE.cs and search for this code (line 759):

if (UFE.isNetworkAddonInstalled){

Now lets disable that segment by commenting it.  On that same line add  /* before it begins, and on line 767 and */ before "}". It should look something like this:

/*if (UFE.isNetworkAddonInstalled){
    NetworkView network = this.gameObject.AddComponent<NetworkView>();
    network.stateSynchronization = NetworkStateSynchronization.Off;
    Network.sendRate = 1f / (float)UFE.config.fps;

UFE.localPlayerController = UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices....
    UFE.remotePlayerController = UnityEngineInternal.APIUpdaterRuntimeServices....
    network.observed = UFE.remotePlayerController;
}*/

That's cool and it works, thanks a lot!
Built with Unity5 and I can play our game now on Bluestacks, on the Webplayer and on an Acer Iconia.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alrite guys,
I just issued a bug report to Unity regarding the Mecanim animation preview problem.

Unfortunately due to lack of backwards compatibility and the impact this bug causes to UFE, I cannot officially release a U5 build. For now I strongly recommend all of you to keep using Unity 4.5/4.6 until this matter is resolved.

Mistermind wrote:

Alrite guys,
I just issued a bug report to Unity regarding the Mecanim animation preview problem.

Unfortunately due to lack of backwards compatibility and the impact this bug causes to UFE, I cannot officially release a U5 build. For now I strongly recommend all of you to keep using Unity 4.5/4.6 until this matter is resolved.

Are you still going to release UFE 1.6 for Unity 4.5/4.6?

immortalfray wrote:

Since Unity 5 is now official we are moving all of the assets to the new build, so no unfortunately.
I'm in direct contact with the guy who created Mecanim, so hopefully we can get some good news soon. Depending on how long this take however, its better if I skip 1.5.1 all together and focus on UFE 1.6.

Either way, we are in the middle of a crossroad, and the folks at Unity are the only ones that can help us. All we can do now is be patient.

Mistermind wrote:
immortalfray wrote:

Since Unity 5 is now official we are moving all of the assets to the new build, so no unfortunately.
I'm in direct contact with the guy who created Mecanim, so hopefully we can get some good news soon. Depending on how long this take however, its better if I skip 1.5.1 all together and focus on UFE 1.6.

Either way, we are in the middle of a crossroad, and the folks at Unity are the only ones that can help us. All we can do now is be patient.

That's awesome. This is the best way to go, I think. rather than wasting time trying to fix 1.5 while delaying 1.6 even longer. It's better to just let 1.5 compatible with with U4.6 and 1.6 is for U5. Two birds one stone. We all will upgrade to U5 eventually and want UFE1.6 anyway. U5 is free and I can't see any reason why people won't upgrade to the latest version.
Good job mate. Looking forward for the new release.
Any time schedule yet?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi MisterMind,
while the builds work, we encountered a little problem with the preview in the move editor window: it is not possible to have an Animation Preview. The error message is the following, and I think it is going damned deep:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index is less than 0 or more than or equal to the list count.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.ArrayList.ThrowNewArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.String name, System.Object actual, System.String message) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/ArrayList.cs:3261)
System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/ArrayList.cs:2652)
EditorCamera.GetActiveSceneView () (at Assets/UFE/editor/EditorCamera.cs:37)
EditorCamera.SetEditorCameraValue[Vector3] (System.String fieldName, Vector3 newValue, UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/UFE/editor/EditorCamera.cs:47)
EditorCamera.SetPosition (Vector3 newPosition, UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/UFE/editor/EditorCamera.cs:7)
MoveEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/UFE/editor/MoveEditorWindow.cs:491)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I just leave it here, because I think, it can maybe help for going further on the crossroad.
besides this: great work!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^ I think this issue is known and already worked on for the next release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mistermind wrote:

About the Mecanim Animation Preview problem:
I did some long research on this, but so far no luck. It seems like a key internal Unity method (AnimationClip.SampleAnimation) is ignoring Mecanim animations without even showing a console error. I tried some different approaches to this (like using AnimationMode.SampleAnimationClip), but they all end up with the same result.

Since U5 is new there are very few posts about internal errors like that, but I'll keep trying to figure out alternatives. It seems like we will need feedback from Unity devs as well, so that may take a while.

For those working with Mecanim Animations I recommend sticking with Unity 4.5/4.6 for now. I'll keep you guys updated on any discovery.

I was trying to find where SampleAnimation was called in current code, but the search came up empty.

I'm not sure what you are using it for, but http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/TargetMatching.html allows you to cut up an animation and if you are looking to play one in reverse, you can set the speed to -1. These are both targeted at mecanim.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

roswell108 wrote:

I was trying to find where SampleAnimation was called in current code, but the search came up empty.

You will find this code under UFE\Editor\MoveEditorWindow.cs
If you already converted UFE to Unity 5, search for this term:

animationClip.SampleAnimation(targetChar, animTime);

If you are using Unity 4.6 search for this:

targetChar.SampleAnimation(animationClip, animTime);

After the update they decided to remove the old function completely, meaning we can't have backwards compatibility either.

roswell108 wrote:

I'm not sure what you are using it for, but http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/TargetMatching.html allows you to cut up an animation and if you are looking to play one in reverse, you can set the speed to -1. These are both targeted at mecanim.

Interesting. I spent the last few days trying this out, but unfortunately it didn't work. I don't think its related to how the preview mode works, but it was worth the try. Thank you for the hint though.

22 (edited by roswell108 2015-03-25 12:19:02)

Mistermind wrote:
roswell108 wrote:

You will find this code under UFE\Editor\MoveEditorWindow.cs
If you already converted UFE to Unity 5, search for this term:

animationClip.SampleAnimation(targetChar, animTime);

If you are using Unity 4.6 search for this:

targetChar.SampleAnimation(animationClip, animTime);

After the update they decided to remove the old function completely, meaning we can't have backwards compatibility either.

roswell108 wrote:

Interesting. I spent the last few days trying this out, but unfortunately it didn't work. I don't think its related to how the preview mode works, but it was worth the try. Thank you for the hint though.

I haven't converted to Unity 5, but I'll go look at that and see what I can come up with.

If you guys are interested, I have added dynamic arcade mode with automatic random player selection, added the 3D previews as an option, fixed an issue where the popup GUIs would be really small on mobile devices with non-standard DPI settings, Added a floating background to the character selection and stage selection menus when using the 3D previews, and a few other things. I have an obsession with not writing anything hard-coded, so they are all integrated into the UFE Global Config. I also took apart the background textures and broke them into layers.

Edit:

Animator anim = obj.GetComponent<Animator>();
if (anim != null) {
     UnityEditorInternal.AnimatorController ac = anim.runtimeAnimatorController as UnityEditorInternal.AnimatorController;
     UnityEditorInternal.StateMachine sm = ac.GetLayer(0).stateMachine;

for (int i = 0; i < sm.stateCount; i++) {
         UnityEditorInternal.State state = sm.GetState(i);
         if(state.uniqueName == track) {
             AnimationClip clip = state.GetMotion() as AnimationClip;
             if (clip != null) {
                 // Cache the clip to a variable or something and use it.
             }
         }
     }
 }

I stumbled across http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/69 … mator.html which is talking about getting animation details from Animator, but in the process gains access to the clip directly.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

roswell108 wrote:

If you guys are interested, I have added dynamic arcade mode with automatic random player selection, added the 3D previews as an option, fixed an issue where the popup GUIs would be really small on mobile devices with non-standard DPI settings, Added a floating background to the character selection and stage selection menus when using the 3D previews, and a few other things. I have an obsession with not writing anything hard-coded, so they are all integrated into the UFE Global Config. I also took apart the background textures and broke them into layers.

I for one would be very grateful if you would share those things. smile

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

As would I

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hendrixlt wrote:

I for one would be very grateful if you would share those things. smile

sbrtate22 wrote:

As would I

http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1432#p1432

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down