Topic: [Small Tip] Improve Graphical Quality

Hello UFE Users.

So, you're making your fighter in UFE, but you see a problem: you want your game to have better graphics, more specifically high end graphics. Follow these small guides and it will help you.

1. Shaders. Using the correct shaders with the right settings can help your characters and stages look well detailed and perfect. (well not always perfect.) A bad idea is to use the Specular Standard Shader on everything (I learned that the hard way) because it makes everything look extremely shiny, and makes characters look like they have bright wet clothes and sweaty skin, you don't want that hmm

2. Rendering Path. More details on this can be found on this link (http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/RenderingPaths.html), in a nutshell, choosing the correct one for your target hardware will give you whatever results you are looking for.

3. Lighting. Proper lighting, combined with shader settings can help your stages and characters look more of the modern-generation of games. This is on a per-project basis, as there are some users who use custom skyboxes/scene scripts to change the way their game looks.

4. Device in question. If you have a low-end PC/laptop, you can't roll out something that looks like it belongs on a current-gen console or freshly released PC game. You may want to hold off on making your game look the best and focus on the gameplay until you get better hardware. If you try to work on the graphics anyways, your low-end PC will just run the game slow OR Unity will disable certain features at runtime if your hardware can't support.

Well that's all for now, hope it helped.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: [Small Tip] Improve Graphical Quality

Twrmois wrote:

A bad idea is to use the Specular Standard Shader on everything (I learned that the hard way) because it makes everything look extremely shiny, and makes characters look like they have bright wet clothes and sweaty skin, you don't want that :.

You can (and should) use a specular map to define the parts of the texture which should be shiny and how strong the effect will look like on specific areas. That also works with the standard shader and it's really fast.

Re: [Small Tip] Improve Graphical Quality

1. Shaders. Using the correct shaders with the right settings can help your characters and stages look well detailed and perfect. (well not always perfect.) A bad idea is to use the Specular Standard Shader on everything (I learned that the hard way) because it makes everything look extremely shiny, and makes characters look like they have bright wet clothes and sweaty skin, you don't want that hmm

This seems to happen with inexperienced artists who do not understand how to properly use Physical Based Shaders... I am working on a visually detailed fighting game and I STRONGLY SUGGEST to take your time when creating for your games. I use Alloy and the specular value in a PBR shader is mostly the same...