Topic: Visual Damage System

Hey guys.. after playing games like MKX and Injustice, I would love to see something like this make it into UFE. I'll give an example:

Through the course of battle I want my models to get dirty and have things like cuts and bruises (either through material switching or prefab swapping) to show based on how badly they are getting beaten. In UFE, this could be controlled by how many hits it will take to change the visual state of the model's textures and materials. We could limit this to three states of damage.

Level 1 the model is clean.

Level 2 you'll start to see dirt, blood, swelling and some cuts.

Level 3, your model is seriously f**ked up visually.

If this is done via prefabs, I can model swelling on the models faces through blendshapes.

(I would use Substances for this but I'm limited to 2k textures)

Re: Visual Damage System

Unity seems a bit coy on decals with skinned meshes. Ive had a look, and it's a lot of old threads and not much in the way of useful answers. That would be a good solution for cuts and stains at random places.
Without that, you'd have to rely on prefabs, with premade damage textures/meshes I think.

The blendshapes idea is good, I imagine you'd also need a texture with alpha fully transparent in place, and as the skin reddens ,the alpha is reduced, that gives you a bruise or a cut.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Exactly but for my project I'm doing the pre-made cuts and bruises since it will be mostly in the face... and any exposed skin. And prefabs are good if you have stuff like broken armor or blendshaped faces that are modeled swollen... I think decals could work depending on what shader set you're using. I'm using Alloy.

I don't think Unity supports decals on skinned meshes at all, regardless of shader. I had a quick peep at Alloy's page, and I don't see it there either.

Your current approach does seem to be the best way. I am thinking of using something like that later on.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

I don't think Unity supports decals on skinned meshes at all, regardless of shader. I had a quick peep at Alloy's page, and I don't see it there either.

Your current approach does seem to be the best way. I am thinking of using something like that later on.

And it's as simple as a material swap... without having to script it too much. Sorry I'm an artist... and I wonder about blood effects

Bump

This looks great
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/61022

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I like this idea, but I would kinda prefer an animation state. Like animations are struggling to stand up when lower than 20% health.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hello, please did  eanyone figured a way around this?

Thumbs up Thumbs down