Topic: Safe to Upgrade to Unity 5.4

Hey guys, I just took a peek at Unity 5.4 and I'm wanting to know if UFE 1.7 will work correctly in the new editor. The new features and improvements and definitely worth the jump... Thoughts?

Re: Safe to Upgrade to Unity 5.4

I'm bumping this topic... I am about to test UFE 1.7 and see if anything breaks with my UFE project... hopefully it is safe to update.

Cool, let us know how you get on.

But do a backup first, just in case wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I got UFE in 5.4, but it threw up some errors. I hope UFE will get an update soon... but everything is working, though I have nothing major in yet.

Im going to hold off until stability is confirmed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What improvements do you think are worth the upgrade?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

What improvements do you think are worth the upgrade?

For me, improved visual quality and my shader set is of better detail

The ability to better control width and height of an entire particle effect, and PEs possibly causing trigger hits intrigues me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doesn't seem to be working with my z-axis code. Im having trouble tracking down the specific error.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And for my game, I am using a lot of LPV and particle effects... I SERIOUSLY hope things like my skyboxes and GI make it into UFE

Somewhat odd behaviour, I was using a method to test the distance between players, and switch the idle animation as they get within a certain distance.

This worked fine on 5.3. but when I updated it caused a crash. No warning, no useful crash data.

After a few hours of investigation, I found out I only had to move the method call further down in the DoFixedUpdate method. Very strange to me, I still don't understand why it worked on one version of Unity, and not another.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

12 (edited by Steviebops 2016-08-03 13:52:05)

After a few days Ive still encountered strange bugs. Im not sure I'd recommend upgrading until we know more.

Ive seen some crashes without warnings or clear causes, and this bug in particular remains

Internal_Create is not allowed to be called from a MonoBehaviour constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in Awake or Start instead. Called from MonoBehaviour 'HitBoxesScript'.

Not sure why Unity suddenly has a problem with that class.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

After a few days Ive still encountered strange bugs. Im not sure I'd recommend upgrading until we know more.

Ive seen some crashes without warnings or clear causes, and this bug in particular remains

Internal_Create is not allowed to be called from a MonoBehaviour constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in Awake or Start instead. Called from MonoBehaviour 'HitBoxesScript'.

Not sure why Unity suddenly has a problem with that class.

I have been noticing this bug and it is a pain in the ass... for now I am just gonna do my rigging for my game and I hope this gets fixed

14 (edited by Steviebops 2016-08-03 17:28:58)

I think it's this line

-     private Texture2D rectTexture = new Texture2D(1, 1);

Change it to

private Texture2D rectTexture;

and put the initialization in the Start()

rectTexture = new Texture2D(1, 1);

That seems to remove the error for me. The other bug I was getting was due to an improperly set animation, and 5.4 seems ok now smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

I think it's this line

Change it to

That seems to remove the error for me. The other bug I was getting was due to an improperly set animation, and 5.4 seems ok now smile

Thanks Steviebops, that did fix the error message. Great find!

Like you however, I too have been experiencing random Unity crashes with no useful data. If I find anything useful I'll post here. For now I recommend not updating to 5.4.

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

I do have a question Mistermind. Do the level prefabs keep information such as GI, and Skybox info? And I hope in the next update of UFE you allow the use of the Unity scene instead of a level prefab...?

KRGraphics wrote:

I do have a question Mistermind. Do the level prefabs keep information such as GI, and Skybox info? And I hope in the next update of UFE you allow the use of the Unity scene instead of a level prefab...?

I just added a script component that changes the skybox on Awake() when the level prefab is loaded.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

MrPonton wrote:
KRGraphics wrote:

I just added a script component that changes the skybox on Awake() when the level prefab is loaded.

That is awesome... I hope to try this out once I get my game running...

19 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-08-28 17:52:17)

Steviebops wrote:

I think it's this line

Change it to

Where is this script? I don't see it in the UFE folder

So I opened this in MonoDevelop (after figuring out how) and I am looking in the Hitboxes script... and I am looking for the lines you posted... they look like they have been changed already or something of that nature...

It's in the HitBoxesScript,

private Texture2D rectTexture = new Texture2D(1, 1);

Is the line you're looking to change

Thumbs up Thumbs down

21 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-08-28 21:40:06)

Steviebops wrote:

It's in the HitBoxesScript,

private Texture2D rectTexture = new Texture2D(1, 1);

Is the line you're looking to change

I don't see that line sad...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/158971/Screenshot%202016-08-28%2022.38.36.png

Alrite guys, it seems version 5.4.0p4 (patch 4) has solved the issue. UFE no longer freezes. I'll be pushing some of the work done and try releasing a new version within the next month (v 1.8).
Updates are coming soon, so stay tuned (I'll make an official thread).

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

Awesome... about to test it out now

I upgraded to the patch version and I'm still getting that hit box error... hmm

Mistermind wrote:

Alrite guys, it seems version 5.4.0p4 (patch 4) has solved the issue. UFE no longer freezes. I'll be pushing some of the work done and try releasing a new version within the next month (v 1.8).
Updates are coming soon, so stay tuned (I'll make an official thread).

Thanks, look forward to that.

Will the Online add-on then be available for separate purchase?

Thumbs up Thumbs down