Topic: Season 3 Polls: Major Updates

Vote for your favorite upcoming feature! (you must have a forum account to view the poll)

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

Re: Season 3 Polls: Major Updates

Oh no! is 3d arena bumped back to season 3?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Look forward to how the networking works out.

Hope it's like GGPO where it uses prediction algorithms and rollbacks when prediction was incorrect.

Also hoping for Square Hitboxes and grappling.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When does voting close?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tag Team.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know Im pushing for 3d arena, but it seems a better choice for the engine. It opens it up to more game types , and therefore more buyers than the other stuff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

7 (edited by Storm87 2014-06-06 23:32:55)

Steviebops wrote:

I know Im pushing for 3d arena, but it seems a better choice for the engine. It opens it up to more game types , and therefore more buyers than the other stuff.

You gonna have to simply speak for yourself on this one. Both Tag Team and/or 3D will open up new possibilities. Saying 3D will have more types of games or buyers "then that other stuff" holds zero weight simply because you want that feature. Don't get me wrong I respect your opinion, but to be fair, I think tag team would be a good move. UFE is already in that 2.5D realm and it's only 1v1 at the moment, some co-op experience would be great. Not only that, there is already a MVC character template in place.  Air combos and chain combos are already in place. Why not get Tag mode out the way before taking a decent amount of time to reverse engineer UFE to work under the 3D universe?  Plus, I can safely say a fair share of 3D users are going to ask for a CO-OP mode down the line either way. I'm just saying a CO-OP experience would be tasty, something like 2.5D (Marvel) & 3D (Tekken Tag). Why not work on top of it as a extra option for both?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

'holds zero weight simply because you want that feature.'

Wouldn't that also be true for you and tag team?

And if it requires a major re-word ( I don't know to be honest), it would be better to do it early, rather than pile on features that make the job more complex.

3d arena allows for more game designs, tag team only allows for tag-team

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, with the voting system, is it possible that a feature could end up indefinitely delayed?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10 (edited by Storm87 2014-06-07 17:46:47)

Steviebops wrote:

'holds zero weight simply because you want that feature.'

Wouldn't that also be true for you and tag team?

Sure, but I never said tag " opens up to more game types , and therefore more buyers than the other stuff." I'm only mentioning it would probably be a quicker feature to implement, since the mechanics for it are already there. Why not, before reverse engineering the engine to work with 3D?

Steviebops wrote:

'
3d arena allows for more game designs, tag team only allows for tag-team

You're entitled to your opinion. smile I think both 2D and 3D opens up to many game designs. Quite frankly, every feature listed in the poll will bring in need possibilities. It simply depends on the developer.

Either way what ever feature is next, even if it' square hitboxes, tag, 2d and/or 3d, is a step forward. I'll leave it at that. No need of going any further. It's whatever.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lets go my game will be like injustice or mortal combat

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rooting for tag team and Square Hitboxes.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

13 (edited by Steviebops 2014-06-13 15:34:21)

Square hitboxes in a pure 2d thing, right? I don't ever remember using them.

Also, is it one feature per season, or does more than one get worked on?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

Square hitboxes in a pure 2d thing, right? I don't ever remember using them.

Also, is it one feature per season, or does more than one get worked on?

Sometimes I get several done, other times it takes months just to finish a single minor update. Its really hard to predict how things go.  From my own experience however, more often then not I end up making multiple features if they are somehow connected.

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

I really want to push for 2d in this. I see a lot of potential for a really well made 2d fighting game in this engine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Although it's not on the voting list so far I would recommend looking into Playmaker support or other visual scripting tools which should make it easier for all UFE users to make custom features and content for the engine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

17 (edited by MasterThespian 2014-06-30 21:25:44)

Here's the thing about 3D:  the UFE intro page used to say that we could create games like Virtua Fighter or Tekken and here we are, still getting de-prioritized.  Making a 2D fighting game has been possible for years with MUGEN but there has never been anything for 3D.  With the way things are going, the 3D engine won't happen until every possible tool 2D makers want is available.   As the project continues to cater to them, the more of them will be present to vote.  At a certain point is just feels like the people who paid for 3D are just funding the 2D development and being left out to dry because we can't even get started on our basic engine.

Thumbs up −3 Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

Oh no! is 3d arena bumped back to season 3?

Yeah I was not too happy to see this either.

+1 3D Arena Gameplay - This is what I would like to see.

I just bought UFE3D because I was extremely impressed with the videos and demo game.

One of the games in my pipeline will need 3D Arena Gameplay.

I would be more than happy to put additional funds towards ensuring that this feature is developed ASAP.

Mastermind: If you could put a donate button up or provide some other form of payment option, that'd be great.

Thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AlexarahX wrote:

Although it's not on the voting list so far I would recommend looking into Playmaker support or other visual scripting tools which should make it easier for all UFE users to make custom features and content for the engine.

+1 for Playmaker support as well, but would not want to detract from 3D Arena Gameplay.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

20 (edited by ViceVerse 2014-07-01 00:23:49)

MasterThespian wrote:

Here's the thing about 3D:  the UFE intro page used to say that we could create games like Virtua Fighter or Tekken and here we are, still getting de-prioritized.  Making a 2D fighting game has been possible for years with MUGEN but there has never been anything for 3D.  With the way things are going, the 3D engine won't happen until every possible tool 2D makers want is available.   As the project continues to cater to them, the more of them will be present to vote.  At a certain point is just feels like the people who paid for 3D are just funding the 2D development and being left out to dry because we can't even get started on our basic engine.

I call BS.

1. There is also a 3d engine called EF-12. Ever heard of it?

2. You Said "At a certain point is just feels like the people who paid for 3D are just funding the 2D development and being left out to dry"
Are you kidding me? Really? Did you just completely miss all the major features that took a great amount of time to complete, that are general features that are build in for both 2D and 3D. huh.... like AI, Grabbling, Mobile, and Networking, that I'm pretty sure UFE 3d will use? Don't throw out blunt statements when you clearly don't know what you are talking about. When the truth is the majority of the (completed) features and addons are for the engine in general plus bug fixes. Regardless of 2d or 3d. 

Oh yea! Forgot to mention, UFE was announce as a 2.5D engine. That already should have told 3d users that 3d is not coming at a drop of a dime.But, it's coming nevertheless. This stuff takes time, else it would have been done already. So, tell me, how would that look if UFE  (announce as a 2d engine), then (SKIPPED) all the core features and addons that the 2d engine required, and did UFE 3D instead right after, while leaving UFE 2d incomplete and buggy? How would that look? Who cares right? As long as you are happy, right? If that was the case you know how much time would have to be invested into backtracking UFE 2D while doing UFE 3D at the same time?

3. BE PATIENT! A bunch of people have been requesting for TAG TEAM way from the very beginning, yet, we had to patiently wait behind network, mobile, AI, and Grabbling and minor features. Tag Team supporters are waiting in line patiently just like you. MMind is only one person. He can't just snap his fingers and make everyone have there dream features in a matter of days or even a month. He's working his ass off, he's not catering to any specific group, he's doing the best that he can.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

There's no sense in arguing here, that's not a constructive community.

I've decided to implement my own 3d-movement system in the mean time. So far Ive implemented a simple side movement and changed to collision spheres to align with their parent parts in 3d.

Once I've sorted out a rotations system so the players face each other, Ill share what I have.

I have a thread to discuss it, if anyone is interested.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ViceVerse wrote:

1. There is also a 3d engine called EF-12. Ever heard of it?

A largely inflexible engine that's in Japanese?  Yes, I've heard of it.

ViceVerse wrote:

Oh yea! Forgot to mention, UFE was announce as a 2.5D engine. That already should have told 3d users that 3d is not coming at a drop of a dime.But, it's coming nevertheless. This stuff takes time, else it would have been done already. So, tell me, how would that look if UFE  (announce as a 2d engine), then (SKIPPED) all the core features and addons that the 2d engine required, and did UFE 3D instead right after, while leaving UFE 2d incomplete and buggy? How would that look? Who cares right? As long as you are happy, right? If that was the case you know how much time would have to be invested into backtracking UFE 2D while doing UFE 3D at the same time?

UFE was advertised as being 2D and 3D on the main page when it actually went up for sale, without the mention of tag team, mobile and online.  The wording has since changed.

ViceVerse wrote:

BE PATIENT! A bunch of people have been requesting for TAG TEAM way from the very beginning, yet, we had to patiently wait behind network, mobile, AI, and Grabbling and minor features. Tag Team supporters are waiting in line patiently just like you. MMind is only one person. He can't just snap his fingers and make everyone have there dream features in a matter of days or even a month. He's working his ass off, he's not catering to any specific group, he's doing the best that he can.

Bottom line is you are waiting for features to add to your in-progress game, we are waiting for the core component to begin even planning our systems.  So yes, when all indications are that our features will be dead last, it doesn't change that feeling.  For the record, I, and many others asked very clearly about 3D before plopping our dollars down and were told by MMind that we were, to paraphrase, "kickstarting" the base 3D component by being early adopters.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

23 (edited by ViceVerse 2014-07-01 15:04:03)

"A largely inflexible engine that's in Japanese?  Yes, I've heard of it."

And mugen and 2d fighter maker are flexible?

"UFE was advertised as being 2D and 3D on the main page when it actually went up for sale, without the mention of tag team, mobile and online.  The wording has since changed."

The original thread title was "[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework", with the post stating other features,3D being one of them would be supported down the line. Never in the thread title did it say 2.5d and 3d Framework. I don't know if you miss that part or you're choosing to ignore it.

"Bottom line is you are waiting for features to add to your in-progress game, we are waiting for the core component to begin even planning our systems.  So yes, when all indications are that our features will be dead last, it doesn't change that feeling.  For the record, I, and many others asked very clearly about 3D before plopping our dollars down and were told by MMind that we were, to paraphrase, "kickstarting" the base 3D component by being early adopters."

I'm not going to repeat myself, but again go back and look at each update and you will see the majority of the stuff are bug fixes, and some addons that 3D arena will use anyways. I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't change fact that "backtracking" is going to cause more delay then anything. I can only imagine the original concept of the engine which is 2.5d, was left incomplete and buggy, while hopping on 3d to soon, and how unorganized that would have looked in the end. I can already hear the 2D people saying, for example, "this/that don't work" or "my character can't even throw", then MMind having to flip flop fixing bugs, add basic addons like throw, for example, yet at the same time, hear someone saying "All 3D fighting games have (insert) feature, I really need (insert feature ASAP)". I would only imagine if it would be a headache or not.

I'll leave it at that, no since in going back and forth. I get what you are trying to say, but I have to disagree.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

24 (edited by MasterThespian 2014-07-01 15:01:01)

ViceVerse wrote:

"A largely inflexible engine that's in Japanese?  Yes, I've heard of it."

And mugen and 2d fighter maker are flexible?

In Japanese.  And I'm the one who picks and chooses what to quote?  I could deal with one or the other, not both.

MasterThespian wrote:

UFE was advertised as being 2D and 3D on the main page when it actually went up for sale, without the mention of tag team, mobile and online.  The wording has since changed."

ViceVerse wrote:

The original thread title was "[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework", with the post stating other features,3D being one of them would be supported down the line. Never in the thread title did it say 2d and 3d. I don't know if you miss that part or you're choosing to ignore it.

http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/start?rev=1389067482

Please read what I actually wrote.  I said the main page, not the original discussion thread.  I have no issue with grappling or bug fixes coming before 3D implementation.  Otherwise I would have said so.  My issue is that AI, mobile, online, tag team, and soon hitboxes will all be coming first.  You're choosing to ignore the fact that several of us directly asked about the implementation of 3D space before purchasing.  If I thought that "soon" meant a year later at the soonest (if at all, since the "in 3D soon" verbiage has been completely removed), I would have waited instead of "kickstarting".

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

25 (edited by ViceVerse 2014-07-01 18:22:53)

"In Japanese.  And I'm the one who picks and chooses what to quote?  I could deal with one or the other, not both."

Japanese or not, it can be use for commecial use, not mugen or 2d fighter maker.

"I said the main page, not the original discussion thread"
You said so yourself, "original discussion thread".

"My issue is that AI, mobile, online, tag team, and soon hitboxes will all be coming first. "
I wasn't crazy about mobile or AI support being done right away either, but it's not my choice, nor I'm the one who pick and choose what's in now or later. Neither are you.  But, guess what I'm just as glad to see AI and mobile in now, because those are must have features that would have taken a long time to implement if we had to do it ourselves. Be happy, you are even getting updates like this. Have you consider that it might be apart of the workflow to get those features in right away for testing purposes? Like seeing if things would function along side another, so there won't be any surprises later on? Maybe? I'm only guessing.

"You're choosing to ignore the fact that several of us directly asked about the implementation of 3D space before purchasing. "
Ignore? Like the original discussion thread you, yourself mentioned?

If I thought that "soon" meant a year later at the soonest (if at all, since the "in 3D soon" verbiage has been completely removed), I would have waited instead of "kickstarting".

Respectably, who fault was that? By your standards what is soon? Because, soon can also mean "as soon as we can get to it". Soon can mean 1 week, 1 month, 1 year. It depends. Seeing that how much work MMind put in and the amount of stuff that is complete so far, 1 year, that's pretty darn soon/fast, if you want to compare it to the amount of time it would have taken us to do it.Easier said then done.

Solution: Since, we are going no where with this. If you must have 3d here and now, have you considered    helping "Steviebops" in his thread to get a headstart on getting 3d arena to work?

Thumbs up −2 Thumbs down