Topic: [Small Tip] Optimization

Hello UFE Users.

So you're packaging your UFE game, and sending it to friends for testing/uploading a playable beta. But your end-users are having some difficulty- they can't get the game to run at a playable speed! Even on the lowest settings it doesn't run well for them! Slowdowns, stuttering, they don't like it. But after reading this, you'll know how to avoid this from happening.

1. Build Quality Settings. This probably shouldn't be the highest on the list, but its a good start to edit what your Quality settings are in Unity when you build your project. Remember that just because there is a "Fastest" option there, does not mean all computers will suddenly be able to run your game by choosing it. You may have to do some other edits on your own as well.

2. Camera Scripts. Motion Blur, Color Correction, etc, are nice things to have, but if they have tweakable settings, be sure to edit them! If you have a Motion Blur script, and it looks nice to you, it is not necessarily a good idea to crank up the intensity of it to the highest value. Besides slowdowns, it could also cause some other, unwanted results. You also shouldn't add two similar scripts together, more specifically if they have the same effect in the end.

3. What's in the Scene/Stage? If you have large lag on one stage and not another, chances are there may be too many items on that stage that shouldn't be needed. (or the target computer can't handle everything.) When making your stage in the Unity Scene View, remember that the player(s) can only see from one side in a 2D view. For instance, if you have the characters fighting in front of a building, you do not need to have items behind the building that are out of sight. Removing out of sight items can improve performance, reduce memory usage, and have your players enjoying a smooth match.

4. MOST IMPORTANT:BEFORE packaging and sending your release/update/beta off to others, make sure you ALWAYS test your packaged build, and not only assume the game works well based on how it runs in Playmode in the editor. Play in Editor and Standalone Build can have two different results!

Well that's all for now. Hope it helped.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: [Small Tip] Optimization

Hi,
I have few queries.

I understand that to optimize game for device memory poly size of players and stages take part ,shaders take part and number of material for texture also take part.

It is okay for us as we are working with unity for long time.

My question is little bit different here.

How many different characters can be supported by story mode ?In theory it can be infinite but when it comes of mobile devices I know that you might know some practical limit.

My experience.

iOS devices are capable of load all my game story mode characters which are 80 smile

Android devices with 1 gb ram can not handle more than 40-45 characters and game itself does not load on 1gb ram devices.

So any idea or tips to take in consideration while making large stories?

I need best practices test case.
It might be like
Do not create stage that contain 5k plus poly.
XXX number of characters are best for mobile devices.
Question is really difficult but  you have some more practical experience so you can guide us.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mbhagat wrote:

Hi,
I have few queries.

I understand that to optimize game for device memory poly size of players and stages take part ,shaders take part and number of material for texture also take part.

It is okay for us as we are working with unity for long time.

My question is little bit different here.

How many different characters can be supported by story mode ?In theory it can be infinite but when it comes of mobile devices I know that you might know some practical limit.

My experience.

iOS devices are capable of load all my game story mode characters which are 80 smile

Android devices with 1 gb ram can not handle more than 40-45 characters and game itself does not load on 1gb ram devices.

So any idea or tips to take in consideration while making large stories?

I need best practices test case.
It might be like
Do not create stage that contain 5k plus poly.
XXX number of characters are best for mobile devices.
Question is really difficult but  you have some more practical experience so you can guide us.

Add me on Skype and i'll help provide solutions.

My Skype username is Ltsonic

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi,
I did it.
My skype is mayurbhagat10.
Thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down