Topic: [Beginner Guide] Importing your characters

I've had this question come up a lot, and although most of the information is on the wiki, I thought it would be nice to have a walkthrough of the process for newcomers to follow.  This guide will take you through getting your characters into UFE.  Starting with importing your custom character from a supported 3D package, setting up their hitboxes, adding moves and then making them playable in your game.

If you need clarification or think I've missed something, please post below.  I'll add it to the guide smile.

There are essentially 4 steps to the process:

1. Import Character model

2. Create Character Prefab and Assign Hitboxes

3. Assigning Basic Moves and Adding Attack Moves

4. Add Character to game config (to appear in Character Select screen)

Step 1: Import Character model
Import the model as you would for any other Unity project.  If you are using Mecanim, make sure the rig is set to Humanoid and that there are no errors with the configuration.

Step 2: Create Character Prefab and Assign Hitboxes
Create a prefab of the model and add component HitBoxesScript.cs to the prefab.  See the Hitbox Setup page for more details on creating the prefab and assigning the script.

If you haven't done so yet, create a new Character file for this character (you can copy an existing one and edit that).  Then add the prefab to the Character Prefab field in the Character Editor | Hitboxes section.  From here, you can assign the default hitboxes for the character.

Related links:
Hitboxes Setup video tutorial
Auto-Setup button for any rig

Step 3: Assigning Basic Moves and Adding Attack Moves
Before doing anything, if you're using Mecanim animation type, you will need to assign your Avatar. Select it from your character's FBX file.

http://i.imgur.com/H7zDNmU.png

In the Character Editor, scroll down to Move Sets and add the animation clips for your basic moves (idle, walk forward, crouch, jump etc).  You won't need all of them if you're not planning on having some features.  For instance, you don't need a parry animation if you disable parry.

NOTE: if you don't have forward and back jump clips assigned, the straight jump clips will be used instead.  Similarly, if you don't have medium/heavy hit reactions assigned, the light hit reaction will be used.

Then create and assign your attack moves.  This process is quite involved, so I recommend checking the Move Editor page, and also the Throw Tutorial (shows how to create throw attacks, but the process is similar for creating regular attacks you just don't need the reaction moves).

Related links:
Throw Tutorial Video

Step 4: Add Character to game config
Then to ensure the character appears in the Character Select screen, just add the Character File to the Global Options | Characters.  They'll now appear in the character select screen.

Also, to make testing your characters easier without starting a game from the intro screen, you can use the Start Game Immediately option at the top of the Global Config, and drag the characters you want to test into the Player 1 and Player 2 slots.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Re: [Beginner Guide] Importing your characters

Excellent guide thanks u.

how to change different player response and animations?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I followed it but I get this error

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable profilePictureBig of CharacterInfo has not been assigned.
You probably need to assign the profilePictureBig variable of the CharacterInfo script in the inspector.
UnityEngine.Texture.get_width () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Texture.bindings.cs:25)
DefaultCharacterSelectionScreen.SetHoverIndex (Int32 player, Int32 characterIndex) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/UI/Templates/DefaultCharacterSelectionScreen.cs:233)
CharacterSelectionScreen.OnShow ()
DefaultCharacterSelectionScreen.OnShow () (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/UI/Templates/DefaultCharacterSelectionScreen.cs:385)
UFE.ShowScreen (.UFEScreen screen, System.Action nextScreenAction)
UFE._StartCharacterSelectionScreen (Single fadeTime)
UFE+<StartCharacterSelectionScreen>c__AnonStoreyA.<>m__18 ()
CameraFade.FireFadeFinished ()
CameraFade.OnGUI ()

Thumbs up Thumbs down

forgive me I am a newb with UFE,
I downloaded the UFE 2 LITE asset and I am trying to import a new character from a free unity humanoid I found here
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3 … mple-79870

I created a prefab of the asset and added the hitboxes script

Then I create a new character in the config and add the prefab in the character config panel
I then go to hitboxes and try and add a hitbox, when I click apply changes I get the error

```
ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: path is null or empty
UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.SavePrefab (UnityEngine.GameObject inputObject, System.String path, ReplacePrefabOptions replaceOptions, PrefabCreationFlags creationFlags, System.Boolean& success) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Prefabs/PrefabUtility.bindings.cs:180)
UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.SaveAsPrefabAsset (UnityEngine.GameObject instanceRoot, System.String assetPath, System.Boolean& success) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Prefabs/PrefabUtility.cs:1165)
```

furthermore the character has no animation when loaded in a battle scene

Am I missing something here? thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Running into a lot of issues importing a character and getting it to run.

I've followed this guide and added portraits to the character to fix the first round of errors. Now when I try to load into training mode with my imported character I'm getting a slew of errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UFE3D.CameraScript.Start () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)

HitBoxesScript.UpdateRenderer () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
HitBoxesScript.Start () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)

ControlsScript.ResetData (System.Boolean resetLife) (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
UFE.SpawnCharacter (UFE3D.CharacterInfo characterInfo, System.Int32 player, System.Int32 mirror, FPLibrary.FPVector location, System.Boolean isAssist, UFE3D.MoveInfo enterMove, UFE3D.MoveInfo exitMove, System.Int32 altCostume) (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
UFE._StartGame (System.Single fadeTime) (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
UFE.StartGame (System.Single fadeTime) (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
UFE3D.LoadingBattleScreen.StartBattle () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
FluxCapacitor.ExecuteLocalDelayedActions () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
FluxCapacitor.ApplyInputs (System.Int64 currentFrame) (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
FluxCapacitor.DoFixedUpdate () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)
UFE.FixedUpdate () (at <e5749fea8b364ab1935fc03c32a252bd>:0)

Does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix this? Would love to see an updated tutorial on importing characters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down