Topic: Dash / Run move while holding input Key

Hey Guys,

just recently started playing around with UFE, so far I love it!!! I'm a bit stuck trying to figure out this one issue. I'm trying to create a move that Dashes /  Run while holding down a input key this move should continue til the player lets go of the assigned input key. I've looked at Robot Kyle's move setup  for "Dash Forward" it sorta does what i want but the move/animation stops after the animation length has been completed . I've tried setting the animation wrap mode to Loop but no dice.

is there a easy way to set this up inside the editor or is this something i'll need to script, and if this is the case where should I start looking?

I did a search for similar topics but didn't see anything I apologize if this topic has been cover somewhere else.

Thank you for the help in advance.

UFE 1.8 Source Code
Unity 5.5

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Dash / Run move while holding input Key

I have an idea that may work. I'm going to test it out when I get home.

I'll let you know what I come up with

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And It Works

Ill Be Posting here a  step by step for it

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Step 1 Create a Move for the Run

Step 2 decide how far the character actually run based on the animation and put that in the Self Applied forces on the X

Step 3 Chain Moves, Set this move as a chain move of itself. set the frame links to be about the last 10 frames (IE if you have 30 frames set the frame link to be 20-30). link conditions : No conditions, Ignore inputs, and ignore player conditions, both should be on.

Now if you pay the animation the character will never stop running no matter what. so now we fix that.

Step 4 Create a second Move file. this is your stop running motion.

Step 5 in the stop move. set requitred move to the run move. and set the input to be Forward.  On button Release. the other 2 options are off.

Step 6 back to the first move. set the stop as a chain move of the run. a separate link from the firstone we created. set it to all frames. ( from frame 1 to the end)

put both moves in the character move list and your done

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

5 (edited by eman 2017-01-25 02:50:27)

Awesome! thank you for helping me out with this. It worked out amazingly well. I tweaked some of the setting around to work with the animation i had at my disposal. If anyone is interested in reproducing this I'm posting the screen shots of my current settings.

I've been hard coding this thing for the last two nights i'll post my progress here if i get it to work via code.

Via UFE Move Editor
Run Move Setup:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/bzURlgvh73s_IGISEMqYIaaoJvCnvsVxVm2NgI8t9TejpCU-fm33oPTMUfcjbpcTnFgbgizzi1zEgH8=w1920-h974-rw
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZtzv … k3OVk/view

RunStop Move Setup
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wzDj9L1wl37Xwh4MXmG0nvrzRwt8dm_qh-DWSEUYLxk4iGH9DnNoTpcW6WVmrLtMLBHly1q6nEBxuGI=w1920-h974-rw
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZtzv … 1iWGs/view

@xFTLxKingPhoenix
1. could you confirm if you're getting this error on your side? I currently get this error when I release the button and UFE switches the animation over to the RunStop move. maybe i got a step wrong? I do a have a animation clip piped into the RunStop move so this error is sorta weird.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ReE9M_YwaHrwChWkgydWxxJ2nODXQZ28rLYH3HwKoGTlEGl0cDtesHJ4miaKk5ImsTVXWCsGXcXJvQM=w1920-h974-rw

2. Do you think this method of setting up a move would work for a move consisting of 3 animations that need to blend from one to the other base of the players input? for example:

Walk>Sprint>Run

here's a video of what I mean. Time Code: 24:34

[media]https://youtu.be/m8lOwrWNbEY?t=1474[/media]

once again thank you for all your help!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't receive that error at all

I'll see if I can look back on my  thing tonight after work. Or over the weekend

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it could work with the walk spring run thing.

As long as you set it up in stages.

Basically instead of making thr move a link to itself. Keep the stop animation exactly how it is.
Add sprint and walk moves

Set walk as the first.
With forward as input (just single forward)
Set frame link into sprint giving at least 10 frame buffer  (so if yiu want walk to go 30 frames make anim that goes 40+ frames)
Auto execute ignoreinputs
Ignore player conditions
No conditions on link type

Then in the sprint repeat all the above except put the run move.

Make sure you have the stop set to each part.

I think this might work out for you.

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I also did something along those lines for my cancelable dashing.

However, i didn't like not being able to attack during the dash or during the cancel animation (end of the dash), and I also didn't like the idea of having to setup these huge framelink lists to allow the attacks from these states. 

So instead, I added a Move Category property to the MoveInfo (Attack or Movement), and also boolean properties AllowLinkToAllAttackMoves and AllowLinkToAllMovementMoves. In the code, where it tests move executions, where searches for a framelink, I added some logic to let the move start if the bools and the move category match.

So I can set AllowLinkToAllAttackMoves to true on all my dash, dash cancels and any other "movement" moves so I can attack from a dash, like in Tekken.

Let me know what you think and if I missed a way to do this more easily smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down