Re: Z - axis movement

Ok, latest patch is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Pzt … FJ2QjZzS0U I have to say, creating patch files is VERY finicky.

If someone could test this and let me know, the instructions from earlier in the thread still apply.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

Ok, latest patch is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Pzt … FJ2QjZzS0U I have to say, creating patch files is VERY finicky.

If someone could test this and let me know, the instructions from earlier in the thread still apply.

YOU ROCK!

I'll try this as soon as I can and report back.

THANKS!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hmm, related but not exactly the same, I've been working on getting z-axis support working in the 2.5D system.

What I mean is, the way UFE does it out of the box is it ignores z motion animation. So say you have a move in a throw that Player 1 grabs Player 2 and spins them to the other side doing a 180. In the animation Player 2 (from a birds eye view) would be swung from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. However, the animation doesn't play the z-axis part of the animation. So Player 2 just goes from 3 o'clock to center to 9 o'clock instead.

I think I just about fixed it but I need to figure out how best to say "Round has started" in the control script. Currently I have it set up to basically play the z-axis animation as long as a move or throw is being performed, then at the end of the move it will return the player to their current position but with z-axis set to 0.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Im a little confused as to why you need to know if the round has started, if it hasn't you wouldn't be able to do a throw at all?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's because the ControlScript runs every frame. So basically if that code runs before the round has started then the characters positions get all out of whack for some reason.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This problem has driven me crazy, I'm very interested in your solution! Some animations I fixed with opponent override forces but more complex ones just looked terrible.

MrPonton wrote:

Hmm, related but not exactly the same, I've been working on getting z-axis support working in the 2.5D system.

What I mean is, the way UFE does it out of the box is it ignores z motion animation. So say you have a move in a throw that Player 1 grabs Player 2 and spins them to the other side doing a 180. In the animation Player 2 (from a birds eye view) would be swung from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. However, the animation doesn't play the z-axis part of the animation. So Player 2 just goes from 3 o'clock to center to 9 o'clock instead.

I think I just about fixed it but I need to figure out how best to say "Round has started" in the control script. Currently I have it set up to basically play the z-axis animation as long as a move or throw is being performed, then at the end of the move it will return the player to their current position but with z-axis set to 0.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah... strange thing with me booting up my game today... characters just falling down through the floor so set back a bit on the 3D animation issue. Hopefully will resolve this soon.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

158 (edited by MrPonton 2017-07-25 18:45:30)

Here's a video demonstrating the difference, first showing default UFE, second showing z-axis if the animation contains z values and if a move isn't currently occuring then to have them remain on 0.

https://youtu.be/XkNO4LRUPaw

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

And is that video using my z-axis code, or just the standard?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

It's not using any of your code. First half is UFE out of the box. Second half is my custom code. Goal to retain 2.5D movement but animations for throws and moves to use z-axis movement.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ah cool, I understand now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any progress on your temporary z axis freedom MrPonton? Definitely needs to be a part of UFE.

MrPonton wrote:
Steviebops wrote:

It's not using any of your code. First half is UFE out of the box. Second half is my custom code. Goal to retain 2.5D movement but animations for throws and moves to use z-axis movement.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had other things take priority. Will see if I kept my code where it was. Last I remember I basically had it turn on Z-axis movement during a throw and then resetting the user back to Z-axis of 0 once throw animation ended. Give me some time and I can put up what I had to do to modify that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

164 (edited by MrPonton 2017-08-29 01:57:18)

So in the DoFixedUpdate() of ControlsScript.cs you'll find something along the lines of this:

// Apply Root Motion
        if ((currentMove != null && currentMove.applyRootMotion)
            || applyRootMotion) {
            Vector3 newPosition = transform.position;
            newPosition.y += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPosition().y;
            newPosition.x += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPosition().x;
            transform.position = newPosition;
        }else{
            character.transform.localPosition = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
        }

GetDeltaPosition() is a Vector2 method in the MoveSetScript.cs

I created a new Vector3 method called GetDeltaPositionV3() which basically does the same thing only includes z-axis calls. But I needed to also create a GetDeltaPositionV3() in both MecanimControl.cs and LegacyControl.cs as well

MoveSetScript.cs:

public Vector3 GetDeltaPositionV3()
    {
        if (controlsScript.myInfo.animationType == AnimationType.Mecanim) {
            return mecanimControl.GetDeltaPositionV3();
        } else {
            return legacyControl.GetDeltaPositionV3();
        }
    }

MecanimControl.cs:

public Vector3 GetDeltaPositionV3() {
        return animator.deltaPosition;
    }

LegacyControl.cs:

public Vector3 GetDeltaPositionV3()
    {
        Vector3 deltaPosition = transform.position - lastPosition;
        lastPosition = transform.position;
        return deltaPosition;
    }

---

I've since changed the ControlsScript.cs DoFixedUpdate() section to the following:

// Apply Root Motion
        Vector3 newPosition = transform.position;
        if ((currentMove != null && currentMove.applyRootMotion)
            || applyRootMotion) {
            newPosition.y += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPositionV3().y;
            newPosition.x += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPositionV3().x;
            newPosition.z += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPositionV3().z;
        } else {
            character.transform.localPosition = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
        }

if (currentMove == null) {
            newPosition.z = 0;
        }

I believe that's all I did.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Added this to my project and noticed that last part of the code would cause root motion to be enabled on animations that it's not active on or it would duplicate the X axis for root motion being applied.

To fix this just change this

newPosition.y += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPositionV3().y;
            newPosition.x += myMoveSetScript.GetDeltaPositionV3().x;
            newPosition.z = 0;

To this

newPosition.z = 0;

This will keep the last move or current move from having root motion applied or causing duplicated x or y force. All we really want to do is set Z back to zero.

Terrordrome Reign of the Legends Out now on Steam!!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291 … e_Legends/
Terrordrome Project Manager

Thanks acid, updated my post to reflect those changes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi, Can any one of you please tell me UFE bundle (1.8.2) have the Z-Axies movement.
Thanks a lot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

gamearcad wrote:

Hi, Can any one of you please tell me UFE bundle (1.8.2) have the Z-Axies movement.
Thanks a lot.

Z-Axis movement is not built into that version out of the box.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@Twrmois can you please help me what i did for the Z-Axis movement?

Thanks a lot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

gamearcad wrote:

@Twrmois can you please help me what i did for the Z-Axis movement?

Thanks a lot.

This thread itself should assist you, the last version I tested Steviebops' code on was UFE 1.7, haven't tried it on 1.8.2 cause my game is a 2D fighter not a 3D fighter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So what does UFE actually look like in 3dimensions?  Do you have youtube videos showing off your 3d fighter projects?  I just want to get a sense as to what it's like. 

Will it be like 90's Tekken or will it play more like a 1v1 in Skyrim or Fallout4?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fighterman wrote:

So what does UFE actually look like in 3dimensions?  Do you have youtube videos showing off your 3d fighter projects?  I just want to get a sense as to what it's like. 

Will it be like 90's Tekken or will it play more like a 1v1 in Skyrim or Fallout4?

I don't have a video to show right now but it's more like Tekken/VF/DOA

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Twrmois wrote:
Fighterman wrote:

Is there an option to utilize UFE with free 3dimensional movement like in any 3rd person view game?

I like UFE animations, and fighting system, but I just don't want a Tekken, or a 2.5D style game.  Any word on a full 3rd person view 3D option for UFE?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fighterman wrote:
Twrmois wrote:
Fighterman wrote:

Is there an option to utilize UFE with free 3dimensional movement like in any 3rd person view game?

I like UFE animations, and fighting system, but I just don't want a Tekken, or a 2.5D style game.  Any word on a full 3rd person view 3D option for UFE?

That could possibly be done with scripting in the Source/Bundle versions, mostly with the camera related scripts. It doesn't seem impossible, it's actually quite an interesting idea.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a minor problem and think's any of you might help me on this. I implemented this Patch https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pzto … NfdXM/view into UFE 1.6. Player1 movement is working fine. But i have issues with working of CPU AI. It does't work well. And animations stuck badly. I am attaching a dropbox video link of problem. Would any of you be kind enough to see into it and let me know what the problem is? As i have placed in Animations for moving left, right, tiredidle and they are working for Player1. I am using Fuzzy AI add-on.
Any help or hint would be really appreciated. Waiting for reply.
Video Link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/latotcta7xpu4 … m.mov?dl=0
Thanks

Thumbs up Thumbs down