Re: Z - axis movement

That's strange, all applied forces work fine for me. X-axis is relative to the character, basically it refers to In front/Behind in the mod. Y is Up/Down, and Z is relative Left/Right
Could you post a video of what's happening so I can get a clearer idea?
The mod should take the relative positions into account, so a hit that is supposed to will always push a character away. There is an option in the active frames to set 'Don't Rotate' so the chars won't rotate if you hit them form the side or behind. Rotating on hit does affect the forces, so you might try switching that on and trying your move again.

I might look into coding it so that they don't rotate when until after the stun is finished, that should make the forces more predictable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

That's strange, all applied forces work fine for me. X-axis is relative to the character, basically it refers to In front/Behind in the mod. Y is Up/Down, and Z is relative Left/Right
Could you post a video of what's happening so I can get a clearer idea?
The mod should take the relative positions into account, so a hit that is supposed to will always push a character away. There is an option in the active frames to set 'Don't Rotate' so the chars won't rotate if you hit them form the side or behind. Rotating on hit does affect the forces, so you might try switching that on and trying your move again.

I might look into coding it so that they don't rotate when until after the stun is finished, that should make the forces more predictable.

The Don't Rotate option didn't really help much, but here is a video of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gx9M66kKDA

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's interesting, I haven't seen that behaviour. What kind of hit is that? (Mid/Low etc) Also, what kind of forces are you applying?

If you could screenshot the Active Frames setup for that move, it'd be a great help.
Ive tested the forces using a launcher move with the x axis set both positive and negative, and it worked both ways as intended.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

That's interesting, I haven't seen that behaviour. What kind of hit is that? (Mid/Low etc) Also, what kind of forces are you applying?

If you could screenshot the Active Frames setup for that move, it'd be a great help.
Ive tested the forces using a launcher move with the x axis set both positive and negative, and it worked both ways as intended.

Here: https://gyazo.com/33b1330338ba96853403e8b2c51fdbea

Thumbs up Thumbs down

130 (edited by Steviebops 2016-04-13 18:33:39)

I reproduced the error, it's an odd one, it only seems to affect moves with vertical force. I'll dig into the code and update when I know more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, I believe I have it fixed, it needed to check the camera alignment when vertical force was added, which I missed.
Thanks for catching that error smile I'll update the patch later, but if you want the fix to apply yourself, it's a quick one.

In ControlsScript, find the section starting

if ((airHit || airRecoveryType == AirRecoveryType.DontRecover) && verticalPush > 0)
            {

Now replace this line

myPhysicsScript.AddForce(new Vector3(hit.pushForce.x, verticalPush, hit.pushForce.z), -opControlsScript.mirror);

With this

if (camRight || camFront)
                {
                    myPhysicsScript.AddForce(new Vector3(-hit.pushForce.x, verticalPush, hit.pushForce.z), opControlsScript.mirror);
                }
                else if (camLeft || camRear)
                {
                    myPhysicsScript.AddForce(new Vector3(hit.pushForce.x, verticalPush, hit.pushForce.z), opControlsScript.mirror);
                }

And that should apply the forces correctly now.
Im not sure when Ill be doing the patch, I have a lot to get through, so Id recommend using the quickfix.
Please let me know how you get on, and thanks again for catching that one big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

Ok, I believe I have it fixed, it needed to check the camera alignment when vertical force was added, which I missed.
Thanks for catching that error smile I'll update the patch later, but if you want the fix to apply yourself, it's a quick one.

In ControlsScript, find the section starting

if ((airHit || airRecoveryType == AirRecoveryType.DontRecover) && verticalPush > 0)
            {

Now replace this line

myPhysicsScript.AddForce(new Vector3(hit.pushForce.x, verticalPush, hit.pushForce.z), -opControlsScript.mirror);

With this

if (camRight || camFront)
                {
                    myPhysicsScript.AddForce(new Vector3(-hit.pushForce.x, verticalPush, hit.pushForce.z), opControlsScript.mirror);
                }
                else if (camLeft || camRear)
                {
                    myPhysicsScript.AddForce(new Vector3(hit.pushForce.x, verticalPush, hit.pushForce.z), opControlsScript.mirror);
                }

And that should apply the forces correctly now.
Im not sure when Ill be doing the patch, I have a lot to get through, so Id recommend using the quickfix.
Please let me know how you get on, and thanks again for catching that one big_smile

Anytime smile

The fix worked, and now the uppercut, and my other moves involving X,Y forces are working correctly now smile Thanks for the quick reply.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hey hows it going everyone? So I am new to the UFE system and have been playing with it for a bit now, I came across this z axis movement patch and was wondering, in order to do this patch do i need the source version of UFE? Also is this something that can be used to make a power stone type of game?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rQW3Axk7o[/media]

Thumbs up Thumbs down

tsuyoiraion wrote:

Hey hows it going everyone? So I am new to the UFE system and have been playing with it for a bit now, I came across this z axis movement patch and was wondering, in order to do this patch do i need the source version of UFE? Also is this something that can be used to make a power stone type of game?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rQW3Axk7o[/media]

I remember playing alot of Power Stone 2. Also yes, this requires the Source or Bundle versions.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

One thing to be aware of is that unlike the video UFE doesn't play well with platforms.  Don't expect to have stages with varying height levels

Thumbs up Thumbs down

136 (edited by tsuyoiraion 2017-02-17 12:55:11)

Twrmois wrote:

I remember playing alot of Power Stone 2. Also yes, this requires the Source or Bundle versions.

Yea power stone is a classic tongue lots of good times playing those games. Thanks for your response ^_^ I went ahead and bought the bundle version today.

christougher wrote:

One thing to be aware of is that unlike the video UFE doesn't play well with platforms.  Don't expect to have stages with varying height levels

Is there anything I can do to make it more friendly with platforms? And what sort of issues should I expect? (i.e. animations, collisions, etc.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Honestly, I'm not sure how much change would be necessary to get away from the flat ground plane. But as it is stage creation is very much built around a flat ground plane as you can see from the training room prefab.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I should point out that the movement code would also need an overhaul to get them moving like that.

As Christ pointed out, the single flat ground plane is hard-coded into UFE, so that would probably be the bigger job.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

139 (edited by tsuyoiraion 2017-02-21 22:58:31)

Steviebops wrote:

I should point out that the movement code would also need an overhaul to get them moving like that.

As Christ pointed out, the single flat ground plane is hard-coded into UFE, so that would probably be the bigger job.

I see, that makes sense, so just to double check this is the most current version of the patch publicaly available:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pzto … JrRms/view

And I need sourcetree with this version to make the patch?

Edit: Ok so i'm having an issue doing the patch, i have a fresh copy of UFE bundle installed, i installed source tree and created a repository. When I try to add the patch it keeps throwing this error:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=manager-st am -p 1 --3way C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff
Applying: zaxis
error: sha1 information is lacking or useless (Assets/UFE/Editor/CharacterEditorWindow.cs).
error: could not build fake ancestor
Patch failed at 0001 zaxis
The copy of the patch that failed is found in: .git/rebase-apply/patch

This is my first attempt at using source tree and to patch the system, do i need a prior patch first? I am using "import as full commit", when i try "modify working copies" it gives me this error:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=manager-st apply -v --reject -p 1 C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff
C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff:655: trailing whitespace.
                        characterInfo.maxGaugePoints = EditorGUILayout.IntField("Max Gauge:", characterInfo.maxGaugePoints);                       
C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff:1616: trailing whitespace.
                                        basicMoveBlock("Idle (*)", characterInfo.moves[ i ].basicMoves.idle, WrapMode.Loop, false, true, false, false, false);                                       
C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff:1669: trailing whitespace.

C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff:1677: trailing whitespace.

C:\Users\TsuyoiRaion\Downloads\zAxisPatch.diff:1689: trailing whitespace.

Checking patch Assets/UFE/CamPointScript.cs...
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Editor/CharacterEditorWindow.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Editor/CharacterEditorWindow.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Editor/GlobalEditorWindow.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Editor/GlobalEditorWindow.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Editor/MoveEditorWindow.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Editor/MoveEditorWindow.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/CameraScript.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/CameraScript.cs: No such file or directory
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/CharacterInfo.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/ControlsScript.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/ControlsScript.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/GlobalInfo.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/GlobalInfo.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/HitBoxesScript.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/HitBoxesScript.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveInfo.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveInfo.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs...
error: Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs: No such file or directory
Checking patch Assets/UFE/Scripts/PhysicsScript.cs...

The scripts are definitely there lol and show up in source tree in the list

Thumbs up Thumbs down

140 (edited by tsuyoiraion 2017-02-22 14:30:08)

So been trying to get this to work and still no luck, if you could, suggest a step by step process on how to make the patch. I have already looked through every post/page on this thread and did my best to follow but no luck.

Specific things to know:
- what folder to make as the repository
- if script files must be staged/committed before patch can be applied
- how to address the whitespace issue (followed this but console says "file does not exist" > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4770 … not-apply)
- if any prior patches are needed before using the latest patch
- what are the patches needed (specific files) or the latest patch (specific file).

Answers to these would be greatly appreciated so I can move forward with the project. Thanks ^_^

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the issue may be that the hosted z-axis code is for older versions of Unity/UFE.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

I think the issue may be that the hosted z-axis code is for older versions of Unity/UFE.

@Steviebops, have you had a chance to update to UFE 1.8.1?

Thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have only updated my private version, which is heavily customised for my own game.

I haven't updated in a while as I wasn't sure what the release schedule is for UFE 2.0, and that will be implementing 3d arena.

Im a bit stuck for time at the moment, but if there's interest, Ill try to get a patch done.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

I have only updated my private version, which is heavily customised for my own game.

I haven't updated in a while as I wasn't sure what the release schedule is for UFE 2.0, and that will be implementing 3d arena.

Im a bit stuck for time at the moment, but if there's interest, Ill try to get a patch done.

Hi @Steviebops,

I'd be VERY interested and I think @tsuyoiraion would be too.

Given that this forum thread is actually linked from UFE3D page now, http://ufe3d.com/doku.php/upcomingfeatures [3D arena gameplay (Try out Steviebobs's Z-axis approach)] , I wouldn't be surprised if more people were to inquire (not sure when the link was added).

Thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm only interested in this as my throws are currently playing awkward since the characters are restricted from moving to the z axis :-/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

146 (edited by christougher 2017-03-13 07:58:39)

@MrPonton. I have the same problem with throws on the z axis but most of them I've been able to get looking right by adding opponent override at various frames, which can force movement on all axes.  I have one move that just looks terrible no matter how hard I try with the opponent override.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah it's annoying to use that "feature". I'm using root motion because I don't want to deal with physics calculations for an animation I already have lined up properly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sounds like we have some interest smile
I'll try get a patch done within the week, as I said, Im a bit stuck for time.  As for throws, the z-axis changes can handle them fine, but it can be a bit fiddly aligning the players just right. I'll probably need to write a small guide on how to do that as well. I tend to use two overrides, one to pull in, and one to knock the player back if the move calls for it.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

For me, throws jsut need to follow root motion z-axis calls. Right now it ignores it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steviebops wrote:

Sounds like we have some interest smile
I'll try get a patch done within the week, as I said, Im a bit stuck for time.  As for throws, the z-axis changes can handle them fine, but it can be a bit fiddly aligning the players just right. I'll probably need to write a small guide on how to do that as well. I tend to use two overrides, one to pull in, and one to knock the player back if the move calls for it.

Thanks @Steviebops! Waiting in earnest for the patch big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down