Topic: 3D Character Selection Screen broken

Hey, guys. I have a rather odd issue I'm trying to solve and I'm wondering if any of you have a possible workaround. Until recently I have had to scale up my assets to accommodate the UFE physics and while that is working, I've noticed while playing the game, the character select screen which is 3d, the background is there. But in the scene view, the character is way above the camera, and the UI is extremely small. .

I don't want to use the portrait because I want to use my own images and 3d is way more appealing. And my camera is set perfectly where I want it.

Is there a fix? I've already done a new project to test and same issue arises.

2 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-12-16 22:17:32)

Re: 3D Character Selection Screen broken

So here is what I am dealing with right now on my select screen... there is no UI sad

Notice how the character is floating in the air, even though the position of the model is at Y 0...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b87hgvyf7506e77/Screenshot%202016-12-16%2022.09.44.png?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/675dmw2l4flor4y/Screenshot%202016-12-16%2022.11.13.png?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjnuax73hbwdoeb/Screenshot%202016-12-16%2022.11.21.png?raw=1

No matter what I do, even starting a new project, the problem persists... this didn't happen when I set my model to a generic rig... I'm about to try that and see if that fixes my issue.

3 (edited by shubi 2016-12-17 05:36:38)

Hi.

Maybe you should try to override the players position in the selection-screen by editing the "DefaultCharacterSelectionScreen.cs"-script:

this.gameObjectPlayer1.transform.position = this.positionPlayer1; (change this)
this.gameObjectPlayer1.transform.localRotation = Quaternion.Euler(0f, 80f, 0f);
this.gameObjectPlayer1.transform.SetParent(this.transform, true);

(I changed the rotation within the script, so that both players are facing to the camera)

Could you please take a screenshot at Runtime (pause at the Selection screen), while selecting the "CharacterSelectionScreen(Clone)"-Object in the Hierarchy-Window?

Did you check the position of the 3D-background-prefab?
Is there a second camera inside the background-prefab which could cause problems?
Is the "UFE-plane" still inside the background-prefab?

4 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-12-17 08:36:43)

Hey Shubi,

I am doing some checks now and everything I did in the prefab is still there... the ground plane is still present at 0, 0, 0... also the source geometry is still at the scale of 1,1,1. The prefab is scaled up 4, 4, 4. Honestly, I don't know how ANY of this changed...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhxo54sguybizpk/Screenshot%202016-12-17%2008.25.58.png?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2czmkq0ei2rb18/Screenshot%202016-12-17%2008.27.03.png?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/945m5o3nxblaydy/Screenshot%202016-12-17%2008.29.37.png?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfwapylunbs2zlg/Screenshot%202016-12-17%2008.30.39.png?raw=1

I also saw the canvas and it is in the wrong place. And I was looking for cameras and I only have the main camera... And for some reason, the canvas is completely offset.

Bump

6 (edited by shubi 2016-12-19 15:35:53)

Hey.

So the prefab contains the ground plane and all the geometry and you scaled up the whole prefab?
Maybe you should create an empty game-object inside the prefab, move all objects except the UFE-ground plane into that game-object and scale or move the game-object.  Do not change the scale, rotation or position of the prefab itself.

The prefab-object should have (0,0.01,-4) for position, (-89.981,0,0) for rotation and (10,10,10) for scale (see the original TrainingRoom-prefab). Do not change the position of the ground plane, but you can scale the groundplane itself.

7 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-12-19 17:24:12)

shubi wrote:

Hey.

So the prefab contains the ground plane and all the geometry and you scaled up the whole prefab?
Maybe you should create an empty game-object inside the prefab, move all objects except the UFE-ground plane into that game-object and scale or move the game-object.  Do not change the scale, rotation or position of the prefab itself.

The prefab-object should have (0,0.01,-4) for position, (-89.981,0,0) for rotation and (10,10,10) for scale (see the original TrainingRoom-prefab). Do not change the position of the ground plane, but you can scale the groundplane itself.

That is weird. Because I played the level (The Sanctuary) and it plays correctly at a scale of 4, 4, 4. I chose a scale of 4 in XYZ and it feels correct. This is just too weird and I would have to set up the hitboxes and everything again

I also modeled the level in such a way that the origin is 0, 0, 0

I did your proposed fix and it didn't work sad

Does the scale have to be 10, 10, 10? Because when I initially modelled my levels and characters, everything was 1:1. And I am also using Mecanim Humanoids for my rig...

KRGraphics wrote:

Does the scale have to be 10, 10, 10? Because when I initially modelled my levels and characters, everything was 1:1. And I am also using Mecanim Humanoids for my rig...

I don't know if it has to be 10,10,10. But I think that's the default of the training-room stage. Have you tried a plain fresh installation of UFE with only the sample data?

shubi wrote:
KRGraphics wrote:

I don't know if it has to be 10,10,10. But I think that's the default of the training-room stage. Have you tried a plain fresh installation of UFE with only the sample data?

I have, and there are no problems. I will just use the 2D UI...

12 (edited by shubi 2016-12-22 04:19:27)

Hi,

don't give up wink
At next I would try if the bug is caused by a problem with the physics-engine or simply a misplacement.
To do so, run your game inside Unity (hit play) and leave it at the character selection menu.

Now select your characters prefab in the Hierarchy-window (it's in the canvas-group), in your case "Blade_Vigilante_Battle(clone)" and try to move, scale and rotate it during runtime. You can move the prefab in the scene-view or in the inspector-window.

When it's possible to change all the values as you need at runtime, than it's also easy to solve the problem in your script. If the prefab is not moving or it "jumps" back to it's position, then there is maybe some odd things going on with the colliders or the prefabs position is influenced by a custom script.

I've actually moved it before and I got some ridiculous values in the transforms for it (lIke 50000, 25000, 32000). Also the icons are super small. That is another issue I want to fix.

Is there a way to change the animation on the fighters just for the select screen? I don't want to see their idle animation when I hover over the character. It would be nice to have a cool neutral animation that loops when I hover over it

Bump

15 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-12-23 23:12:23)

shubi wrote:

Hi,

don't give up wink
At next I would try if the bug is caused by a problem with the physics-engine or simply a misplacement.
To do so, run your game inside Unity (hit play) and leave it at the character selection menu.

Now select your characters prefab in the Hierarchy-window (it's in the canvas-group), in your case "Blade_Vigilante_Battle(clone)" and try to move, scale and rotate it during runtime. You can move the prefab in the scene-view or in the inspector-window.

When it's possible to change all the values as you need at runtime, than it's also easy to solve the problem in your script. If the prefab is not moving or it "jumps" back to it's position, then there is maybe some odd things going on with the colliders or the prefabs position is influenced by a custom script.

Holy dog crap... his scale was 52147.04 on XYZ... I'm like WTH?! But I did fix the UI issue... the near clip distance was too high for the UI... I set it low and the UI is back... just gotta solve the character scale... it is WAY too big.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8okmz5dmtcd8k63/Screenshot%202016-12-23%2023.11.37.png?raw=1

16 (edited by shubi 2016-12-24 05:35:14)

It sounds crazy, but those high values for scale or position inside the canvas-object seems to be normal and works fine. I think it has something to do with the UI-object, because the real scale and position of the prefabs in the gameworld is quite normal.

http://www2.pic-upload.de/thumb/32350232/select2.jpg

I just somehow need to put the character back in view... very strange

I think I got it sorted out now. I moved the character around during the select screen and copied the values. Now it should work perfectly. I hope

I'm personally having problems with this myself.

Both myself and a friend of mine .
I have source he has pro.

I don't really understand how to set up 3d character select. And I'm at the very beginning as in haven't changed anything yet. I clicked the drop down that that supposed to start 3d select screen but what else am I supposed to do

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xFTLxKingPhoenix wrote:

I don't really understand how to set up 3d character select. And I'm at the very beginning as in haven't changed anything yet. I clicked the drop down that that supposed to start 3d select screen but what else am I supposed to do

You have to set a 3d background, and also position your models on screen. My mistake was I forgot to set the position of the character model. So now it should look good :-)

The one thing I want to see if I could add, is a select screen idle animation. Like an animation with the character standing, similar to Dead or Alive.

I'm still stuck.

I changed the display mode to character game object.

I changed the back ground 3d prefab.

I don't see what you mean about position character on screen. Unless you mean  the position player 1 and position player 2 things

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Never mind

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels

Thumbs up Thumbs down

23 (edited by KRGraphics 2016-12-24 20:18:12)

FOUND THE CULPRIT! When I see my character to Mecanim Generic the problem disappears... when you set your rig to Mecanim Humanoid, the problem arises...

here is a screenshot of the select screen with the characters set to Mecanim Generic... the issue disappears. So right now, I am calling this a bug... To reproduce this, set your avatar to humanoid, and play the game... you will notice that your character is completely offset and no matter what you set the position to. And they will also be on the same side of the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmmho8fcbgy5vkm/Screenshot%202016-12-24%2020.08.42.png?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtjp3zkvbr66lhp/Screenshot%202016-12-24%2020.05.56.png?raw=1

KRGraphics wrote:
xFTLxKingPhoenix wrote:

You have to set a 3d background, and also position your models on screen. My mistake was I forgot to set the position of the character model. So now it should look good :-)

The one thing I want to see if I could add, is a select screen idle animation. Like an animation with the character standing, similar to Dead or Alive.

If you don't want to use the characters idle animation for the selection screen, just open the character editior and select a clip for "Selection Animation":

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/32355846/sel.jpg

shubi wrote:
KRGraphics wrote:
xFTLxKingPhoenix wrote:

If you don't want to use the characters idle animation for the selection screen, just open the character editior and select a clip for "Selection Animation":

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/32355846/sel.jpg

Perfect! This what I am looking for... I need to get the source version so I can add an animation where it does an animation AFTER you select the character... such as in Killer Instinct, you will see the character's fight animation, and then when you choose the character, it will do another animation.

Also, we need to log the Mecanim Humanoid issue in the character select screen as a bug. I don't have source to edit anything so I hope this gets addressed