Topic: Localization

Hello,
Anyone working on a localization? I am trying but having a bit of confusion when it comes to Arabic fonts (right-to-left). Also, when I add a language where can the player chose the language they want?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Localization

Adding a language for the player to select is just a matter of adding code for it.

UFE.config.languages is the list the languages are in.  e.g.: UFE.config.languages[0].languageName would be English for the initial UFE language.

UFE.config.selectedLanguage for the current selected language you're using.  UFE uses this when sending message alerts to the screen as well (Round 1 etc).  So just set up a new language in Language options and create a menu option to choose the language.  UFE will take care of displaying it correctly.

As for the right-to-left font, I'm not sure actually.  Does the font not display correctly currently?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

is that in source code version only?
I think I need a bit more guide please (I am the NO-CODE guy, sorry)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's possible on all versions.  You won't need to modify UFE base code, just add code to whatever GUI/menu script you're using.

If you want to add the option to the default UFE option menu, look in IntroScript.cs.  In the Start() function, it defaults the language to English. 

Inside OnGUI() function is all the intro screen menus.  Have a look in there and see if you work out how to add it.  It's not too hard, and will be a great learning tool.  Come back in a few days if you get stuck smile.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mate, thank you very much for encouraging me but I don't have time to mess up the code now. I am a designer in a serious project. I have to get things going ASAP. I tried to play with code before and ended up messing the whole project and started everything from scratch after couple of weeks of work. The problem is once you start messing without knowledge you can't restore and once Unity compile or save you're screwed lol
So that's why I am looking for step by step tutorial and not just hint. I understand you don't have time but if you can't assist me please at least link me a useful step by step tutorial instead.

Many thanks
Raed

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeap, as I was expecting, I screwed the code several times and almost gave up. But now I am back to this topic to try again and see if I can get help to get this to  work. Please reply with a sample code that I can learn from how to add my languages to a the intro screen.

Many thanks in advance
Best wishes

Thumbs up Thumbs down

UFE is now on 1.6, which uses the new Unity UI and slightly changes how languages are handled.

So, are you using the 1.6 Intro Screen (Main Menu) or still on 1.5?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

YumChaGames wrote:

UFE is now on 1.6, which uses the new Unity UI and slightly changes how languages are handled.

So, are you using the 1.6 Intro Screen (Main Menu) or still on 1.5?

Yes, I am on 1.6 Source.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

so?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Languages options will only change text during the game.  It won't change your menu button text.  If you want to change those, you'll need to write code to do that, which would include creating more Language words to change (one for each button you want to change).  This isn't hard, but it's not a task for a non-programmer.

And from the sounds of it, you'll also need some consideration for right-to-left fonts.  My guess is you just need to align them to Right instead of Left, but all other cases they should display fine (I've had Chinese fonts display fine). 

What was the issue you were having with the Arabic fonts?  You never clarified...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any update to this? I need help with localization ASAP

Thumbs up Thumbs down

anthonie121 wrote:

Any update to this? I need help with localization ASAP

Per YumChaGames' post, I suggest picking up a Localization System or coding one yourself. You then have to implement it into it. Here's an example:

Download the Free version of SmartLocalization

Code in at the front of the Awake or Start of UFE.cs (where UFE sets its language based off the global config) to initialize a static object of the SmartLocalization system you are using.

Code a statement to set the SmartLocalization language based off the UFE.currentLanguage value.

Then it's a matter of just making a button in the canvas that iterates through all of the possible language options in the global config.

That's a basic outline.

Thumbs up Thumbs down