1 (edited by skyflare 2021-03-07 22:08:49)

Topic: Please explain what Animation Maps are for, keeping scale at 1 & more

Hi,

I was able to figure out how to use the MapRecorder scene to update the animation maps for a new character asset file.

But I don't understand if animation maps have any functional benefit since I don't think it has any documentation on what this is for.  I saw you say on another thread this feature is used in a rollback online networking feature I guess for synchronizing animation state when there is latency?  Is that the only reason to use animation maps?  Please consider adding some description for this in the documentation here:

http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/character:movesets

I had trouble getting some of the character move values to update the hit / hurt boxes until I disabled animation maps.  I'm trying to make it so I don't have to scale up my character or environment, I want them to be scale of 1, instead of 4 like the demo has.   I'm not sure if this was enough to fix it so far.  I carefully divided all the sizes by 4 and radius for the moved in as many places as I could find, and yet my characters are still being held apart from each other a few feet so they can't fight.  I might have better luck tomorrow since I just figured out this animation map issue right now.  I'd appreciate any suggestions though.  Here is a screenshot which shows that my characters are scale of 1, and the hit boxes are correctly scaled as well. 

https://www.farbeyondcode.com/z/-vf.0.0 … 1F182E53B7

I am using the source code version of UFE 2 and I will be modifying it to do various features and merge other game engines and UI.

I'm pretty impressed with the UFE 2 project since it provides a lot of functionality with unity editor interfaces and prefabs that are easy to understand.  I had watched your videos a few months ago to understand the concepts, and those are pretty good.  This is my first day diving into making changes to characters and moves and it went pretty smoothly.  I was able to understand how all the demo moves work and change them to my liking on buttons and such.  The throw attempt / tech / reaction stuff is very nice structure without having to code that.  Combos/inputs seem to be nice without writing code too.  There are a lot of extra features not used in the demo that could be really helpful too.  I had spent other time converting the demo project to HDRP too, and that went ok.  The code seems pretty straightforward too.  I was able to implement my own custom input class today and got both 2 game controllers working.  I explored other code while debugging my problems and it seems like I can do everything I want with this.  There are so many features already working that I should be able to focus on other parts of the design instead of changing how it works.  I bought nearly everything good on the unity store during the sale, and I plan on putting a lot of it together in a UFE 2 game as a first step towards building a larger adventure / rpg world I'm creating on my own.

Thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Please explain what Animation Maps are for, keeping scale at 1 & more

Ok you should split these up into multiple topics this big wall of text makes it difficult to help you on every question.

The reason your characters are too far apart has nothing to do with your scale.   In your character file. Under you physics tab. There's something called culminative force.  Make that smaller .like about .1 then play the game. And then play around with the value until you get where you want it

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hi,

The cumulative force is a checkbox field.  In the code, it resets forces to zero when unchecked.  This doesn't help.

There is a gizmo drawn by the camera script which is the exact measurement that it is separating the characters.  In the unmodified demo, this distance is ok, but when the character scale is 1, the distance is too big.  I'm trying to isolate where this is calculated in the character physics so I know where to change the variable.  The camera options weren't the answer.   It draws this gizmo sphere at a hardcoded .3f size, so it might not be written to allow this to be calculated based on a setting.  The gizmo code is not related to the character code, so I'm searching for where else this is done.  This appears to only be relevant for 3d fighter too.

Camera gizmo:

https://www.farbeyondcode.com/z/-vf.0.0 … D173DDBDED

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I found pushOpponentsAway() is using a variable called _groundCollisionMass on character physics which can be made smaller to make the characters get closer.

A bit of a confusing variable name.  It creates a Minimum Distance From Opponent.

"Ground Collision Mass: The density of the character's ground collision box. A lower value makes the character stronger when pushing into another character assuming both have same movement speed and weight. Best to leave this at default of 2 for consistent behaviour."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah I wasnt at my computer when i gave that info. and just realized i said the wrong term and came to fix it

but Yes Ground Collision Mass is the answer youre looking for

but Definitely in the future. when making Topics dont ask multiple questions in one topic.

always ask 1 question per topic. so anyone else who has the same problem can find their fix. it might seem annoying but people are more likely to answer 1 question topics than they are to multi question topics

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can confirm Ground Collision Mass is the value you're looking to alter.

As a tip, saying "scale is 1" does not provide any sort of sense of scale. It depends on what your model's scale is in your 3D modeling program and what scale you set on the unity importer for the file itself as well. I can have a scale of 1 by adjusting the scale in either my 3D modeling program or the Unity Importer inspector.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was able to answer the other question I had in the topic by accident. 

It seems animation maps are needed to track where to place the hurt boxes for all the body parts accurately in the animations, otherwise they end up centered on the floor no matter what move you use.

I turned then off and then couldn't figure out how to get the hurt boxes to be in the right places.  I guess processing animations with Map Recorder is not optional in the UFE 2 current engine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down