Topic: Question: How to set lifebars and name text behind characters

I'm trying to make the lifebars and character names appear behind the characters instead of the default in front of the characters. In games like SF4, MvC etc when the characters jump above the height of the life bars they are in front of them instead of covered by them, I was wondering if there was a way to do this so my character doesn't get lost behind the lifebars and name texts.

Examples of what I'm talking about in SF4 and MvC

http://thegamingliberty.com/wp-content/uploads/MVC3CC1.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FulSC3wJD2Y/TeDCdgSfgtI/AAAAAAAALHc/B9B7PnSZP1E/s1600/Super+Street+Fighter+4+Arcade+Edition+screenshots+for+PC+%25283%2529.jpg
http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/07/SuperStreetFighter4pic3.jpg
http://ispeakcomics.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mvc3-spiderman-3.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Question: How to set lifebars and name text behind characters

This would be extremely helpful to me as well. We need the Support bars at the bottom in front of the players but the top HUD on a layer behind them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has anybody found a working solution to this? Or could point us in the right direction to figure it out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes please, a solution would be much appreciated or any kind of help really. At the moment I've dropped this to low priority but it really takes away from the game especially if you have a really busy Life bar. Also it blocks the timer if your UI has something similar to the grid globe on MVC3 sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't had the chance to look that up yet, but it shouldn't be very hard. Hopefully I get some spare time to look into that eventually.

Like UFE? Please rate and review us on the Asset Store!
Questions about the Forum? Check out our Karma FAQ.

Hmm would love this if you have time to look into it

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just thought of an idea for this. Don't  know how to implement it exactly

But set up multiple cameras in the scene.

I know some people have coded in 2 extra  cameras 1 for each player so they don't clip into each other. So player 1 Is in front of player 2.

Well the idea is to set a 3rd extra camera that is behind the player 2 camera (which is behind the player 1 camera) and that camera has the gui for the bars that you want behind the chars

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xFTLxKingPhoenix wrote:

I just thought of an idea for this. Don't  know how to implement it exactly

But set up multiple cameras in the scene.

I know some people have coded in 2 extra  cameras 1 for each player so they don't clip into each other. So player 1 Is in front of player 2.

Well the idea is to set a 3rd extra camera that is behind the player 2 camera (which is behind the player 1 camera) and that camera has the gui for the bars that you want behind the chars

I believe the only problem at the moment is you need to set the canvas layer for those to be on that specific 3rd camera. However, the canvas currently includes both the Super and the Life bars (or any hud elements). So it's a bit more complex than setting the camera layer and the canvas to the same layer. You basically would need to separate the life bars to their own canvas element and camera layer.

Or I could be wrong and it'd just be a matter of setting those specific canvas elements for the lifebars/names to a specific camera layer. All I know is i haven't done it yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Even still you could also just put all the gui behind the characters.

For the most part the bottom bars are always under the feet so you you would rarely notice it's behind the characters.

But the upper bars are different story

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xFTLxKingPhoenix wrote:

Even still you could also just put all the gui behind the characters.

For the most part the bottom bars are always under the feet so you you would rarely notice it's behind the characters.

But the upper bars are different story

Except for times of cinematic cameras, like Street Fighter 4's Ultras for example.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah..

I personally planned to code in the gui disappearing during Cinematic

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels

Thumbs up Thumbs down