1 (edited by christougher 2015-11-20 22:40:57)

Topic: Another throw issue, no z axis movement even w/ Root Motion?

I am using Root motion for almost all my anims, (as fixed brilliantly here: http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph … 499#p2499) and it works quite well except for some throw issues.  I have use root motion checked in the Move editor for both the throw confirm and throw reaction moves and from what I read here (http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/move:animation) there should be some movement freedom on the z-axis then it corrects after the anim is done.  This seems to be broken or I'm missing something...

Several throw anims involve some movement on the z axis on one or both of the combatants, but with it frozen a clothesline attempt looks like heads are colliding instead of the arm striking the head.  Another animation involves twirling the victim around by the ankles but instead the victim passes through the attacker's body several times due to being stuck on 0 on the z-axis. 

The anims I'm using are from the asset store (Quad-Arrow's HQ Fighting anim vol 10)
here's the webplayer demo https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/845 … vol10.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Another throw issue, no z axis movement even w/ Root Motion?

Partial (yet woefully incomplete) solution that I've been able to come up with...  In Opponent override I can manipulate the z position of the opponent, and that can work to make some animations line up better.  On the animation where the attacker twirls the victim around by his knees I tried to simply add some overrides at 6 different intervals where I would need the z axis to change.  Problem with this is that this will undo any mirrored anims when the second override triggers so I ended up mirroring the throw anim instead... It also affects the x axis as well which then needs some serious time investment to fine tune matching up the anims and the correct x, z coordinates, and messing with the 'Move Speed' to make it less choppy...  end result still not as good as root motion... sad

In short, if there is anything I'm missing to get root anims to allow z axis movement temporarily as I understand it's supposed to I'd commence rejoicing in excess. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by christougher 2016-02-04 11:01:32)

Re: Another throw issue, no z axis movement even w/ Root Motion?

How embarrassing, on this old post I just realized I'd been putting the z-axis when I should have said x-axis.  My problem here lies in that the character is stuck at 0 on the x axis. The animations in question have the throw victim move in the x direction. One move in particular swings the victim around several times, but since in UFE it's frozen on the x axis the players pass right through each other like 3 times. If I check "Bake Into Transform" on the victim animation's Root Transform Position (XZ) the animation actually works perfectly within UFE, except at the end when it glitches back to it's original z position. Unfortunately Unity lumps x and z into the same baking option and it can't be separated.  Using opponent override to force some x axis motion is just not working well for me on the complicated anims.  It does the trick tho for simple ones.   

So to correct my earlier question, is there anything I can do to allow temporary X axis movement of an animation without glitching back to it's original z axis?

I have my anims set root transform rotation and Root Y position both baked into pose.

Thumbs up Thumbs down