Topic: Creating a Multiplayer Online version

Hello everybody
I currently develop with a team a fighting game wich will definitely reach a big audience and can have much impact to the local GAme market here in in Germany.
I was able to create with this great tool a Singleplayer Android Version and so I have also
integrated a simple AI in the controlscript wich will be already integrated in the next Ufe version I saw.
Now I was thinking about How to make it a Multiplayer Online GAme.
Im not a good unity programmer at all, mainly Im doing character modeling,rigging,animation but I managed it to his point thanx the tool. I watched some tutorials and now I know how to set up a local network connection using master server,   with PHOTON I could make also an Internet network connection.
But i have not integrated it into my Ufe project at this time.
Because Im thinking of how to synchronize the different data for the network.
Is there any  way to do this ?and how hard can it be?
What will be in this case the state Im refering to in Ufe  ?Can I use the animation States?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/networ … ons.31506/

If anyone here has knowledge about how android multiplayer online games are made with unity or has  just an idea how to integrate it Into UFE I would like to know your oppinion here.

Thanks in Advanced.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Creating a Multiplayer Online version

I've almost done a simple multiplayer using UFE (it's a work in progress).
The first thing i did  was to  modify all the GUIs menu part; i completely rewrite it using NGUI and add some new GUI Screens to create or join a server. So, i dont use the original GUI script at all.

For the multiplayer, the tricky part was to create two diferent Controls (using controlFreak in my case) for each player in their 'local side' and to detect and instantiate the selected character for both players. After that the rest is easier (it's not simple but it is easier).

Just create both characters and add manually the photon views (and their ID) and keep track of their positions and to trigger the animations RPC (in movescript) so you'll need 2 photonviews, one of them observing the position of the player.
For the animation part I just create a RPC for AnimationPlay y BasicAnimationPlay.
The same for Life, Gauge, physics Addforce and player rotations to look always to the oponent. All is done (at least in my case) using RPCs.

So, I hadn't used animation States at all, just override the PlayAnimations function to be called along the server using an RPC, so it will be executed in both characters (local & remote one).

It's not perfect and i have some bugs I have to fix (like when one player dies, the 'die' animations doesn´t play right or the intro animation never plays at all when the game starts).

I had to modify some scripts: UFE, ControlScript, MoveScript & Physics mostly to create the RPC calls and override the original controlFreak code and the Start funtion in ControlScript (witch Instantiate the Player's characters).

One last thing: UFE is very complex asset and it has a lot of scripts to control everyting and it works great, so to make the multiplayer part i've tried make the less possible modifications to the original scripts creating new functions (making minor modification the original functions if possible). So when a new version comes to the Asset Store it should be not hard to adapt (or delete) some of the modifications i've made.
To make it easier, document every change you make in every single script and use a script comparation software (like notepad++) or it will  be a complete nightmare when the update comes to life.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks for your reply Jocyf and sorry for my late response to it.
It sounds cool, that you already did a simple multiplayer and now Im more confident that its possible.
Maybe you are also interested in a cooperation as we are working on a big commercial project with the Ufe like I mentioned before.We have some great 2d designers and I mainly do the 3d character design and animations for it.I managed it to bring it to Android with control freak and to give it a simple Ai.I was also giving it an Arcademode and a career mode.
Our sponsors(wich will not be few) are looking forward to have also a Multiplayermode for Android and IOS.
So if you have time to help online, to give us some advice at time, or you can help fulltime the next 4 month I would be very glad to hear from you.
This will be a good paid position.
Anybody else reading this with good programming skills and knowledge of the Ufe should feel free to contact me at: 

mendemarcus@googlemail.com

Thanks in advance
Marcus

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ho Kre83d, first of all sorry for my late response it has been a while since the last time I logged in this forum.

I'm already working (full time) doing games and this was a 1 month job (all of it, multiplayer and pretty basic IA), so i must say no, sorry.

Once said that, i must clarify that the multiplayer works fine  (using photon), but it's pretty basic and has some bugs (there aren't important bugs and i'm sure it's possible to make it work like a charm), but the company i work with doesn't want to spend more time developing it, mainly because the original UFE programmer it's going to do all that stuff (IA and multipayer) in the future releases so, it's a waste of time spending weeks programming instead of waiting to next UFE updates to arrive.
Besides, I'm not a professional multiplayer programmer guy; my experience in multiplayer programming is pretty basic. I can do basic multiplayer games using photon cloud, but that's all.

The original UFE programmer guy has very strong multiplayer skills (i readed it somewhere), so it's insane to spend time developing something that he is going to do better (and take int account that he knows pretty well all the UFE project so the incoming result sould be fine, in the worst case scenario) .

Thumbs up Thumbs down