Topic: Issue with Mecanim Mirroring

Not sure if this is a bug with Unity or UFE.

I have a character set up with mecanim. This character has a sash tied around his waist so he has two pieces of the sash coming out of the knot. One going to his left, the other going to his right.

Specific animations for him use bones in these two areas for the animation. I've set up the mask of the animation in the Mecanim settings to enable these bones so they will animate. So in idle they're swinging like a pendulum: left to right to left, etc.

However, when the character is on the Player 2 side, it appears that the bones aren't properly mirrored, or it gets confused on what is the Left and Right sash bone.

For example, you have the left sash and the right sash bone. On Player 1's side, if the left sash bone is to animate then it animates as set, but on the Player 2's side, it is the right sash bone that animates instead of the left sash bone.

I can't tell if this is a UFE bug or a Unity bug where the mirroring basically isn't being properly set for Masked bones in a Mecanim rig.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Issue with Mecanim Mirroring

This in no way answers your question, but you might want to look at the asset Dynamic Bone in the asset store.  It adds physics based wiggle type movement for rigged stuff and I've got it to work pretty good in this situation and avoid mecanim/masks and animation altogether.  Once you get it tweaked to your liking you can just expect it to move a bit more realistically... it works great for sashes, tails, loose clothing, hair and such as long as it has a few bones... aaaaaaand if you're into it... it makes boobies bounce lol...

As for your question I asked about mecanim masks and layers a long time ago because I believe it was mentioned as a future intention to add support for it but it's as of yet unanswered.  I don't think masks are supported...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

This in no way answers your question, but you might want to look at the asset Dynamic Bone in the asset store.  It adds physics based wiggle type movement for rigged stuff and I've got it to work pretty good in this situation and avoid mecanim/masks and animation altogether.  Once you get it tweaked to your liking you can just expect it to move a bit more realistically... it works great for sashes, tails, loose clothing, hair and such as long as it has a few bones... aaaaaaand if you're into it... it makes boobies bounce lol...

As for your question I asked about mecanim masks and layers a long time ago because I believe it was mentioned as a future intention to add support for it but it's as of yet unanswered.  I don't think masks are supported...

Thanks,

I'd worry that if I were to use Dynamic bone then I wouldn't be able to use the UFE Engine for the character (and vis a vie Network play).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can't see that Dynamic Bone would mess with anything, but I could be wrong, it has happened before lol.  I think if the bones aren't directly affected by animation then Dynamic bone and UFE shouldn't have reason to clash at all...

I have a character with multiple (about 20) different Dynamic bone scripts on it.  What would you like tested to see if it causes problems?  I've yet to have try out any network game options... maybe I can test that out Monday when I get back home and have two computers...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

christougher wrote:

Can't see that Dynamic Bone would mess with anything, but I could be wrong, it has happened before lol.  I think if the bones aren't directly affected by animation then Dynamic bone and UFE shouldn't have reason to clash at all...

I have a character with multiple (about 20) different Dynamic bone scripts on it.  What would you like tested to see if it causes problems?  I've yet to have try out any network game options... maybe I can test that out Monday when I get back home and have two computers...

I guess have a pendulum like animation on a bone for idle. Check to see if when played in game with UFE Engine set on the character that they are swinging correctly for both players (Swings towards left edge of screen on Player 1 as Player 2 swings to right edge of screen.)?

Also, if Mind could comment, would love to get his take.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, what I'm suggesting is having no animation for the sash at all, and with Dynamic Bone just have any physical motion by your character cause dynamic motion in the sashes always... maybe not the effect you want.  There will be some variance...

Also do you have playmaker?  I use playmaker to check the rotation of the player (i.e. facing left or right) and am able to make some changes based on that without actually touching UFE code, specifically which hand should have a weapon showing.  It wouldn't be too hard to have playmaker have your anim controller switch between two animations when facing different directions.  That would require two different anims of course... or... you could have two different Dynamic bone setups depending on direction faced...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By the way, Dynamic Bone will override any animation calls. Just a heads up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down