Topic: Combo Tutorial, when?

Hi,
I wonder when will the combo tutorial be ready?

Many thanks

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Combo Tutorial, when?

I've been prioritising on the newer features for the videos lately, but I should be able to do this one fairly quickly.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know about?  I can answer some questions while we wait for the video to be ready smile.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thank you very much. I was wondering how to put together a combo. I tried but I couldn't get it right. Not sure what I did so I would love to watch you making it and compare your method to mine and hopefully will find out what I missed smile

Many thank

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll detail the basic concept here since making the video will likely take me a week at least.  Hopefully it's enough to get you started.

Combo Definition
Combos are just a sequence of attacks - that once the first attack hits, the opponent is unable to block the rest of the attacks until the combo is finished.  So really, it's just how those attacks connect to each other that make it a "combo". 

This is not to be confused with combos in non-fighting games like the Batman Arkham games - you're hitting multiple opponents and there's no distinction if they could have blocked during the combo.  Most fighting game players know this, but I think it's worth mentioning to avoid the confusion.

There are two main ways to connect two attacks together to form a combo; 1) frame advantage or 2) chain links.

Frame Adv
Frame advantage is when you have the first hit cause a large enough hitstun that the next hit has time to connect its active frame before the first hit's hitstun is finished.  I'll go through this in great detail in the video, but here's some numbers to get you started:

Hit A has a hitstun of 20 frames and recovery of 10.  Therefore there is a 10 frame advantage when you hit with this move; meaning if Hit B has a startup of less than 10 frames, you could combo these two hits together if you had good enough timing.  You could make the timing easier by either increasing the hitstun on Hit A, or decreasing the startup of Hit B.

Chain Links
Chain links is when you have specific moves listed in the Chain Moves | Move Links option.  You can set the frame window for the link, and also at what frame the next move starts at (incase its startup is too long and won't connect as a combo).  I'll show more details on this in the video too.

There is a 3rd way, but it's really just a variation on frame advantage: juggle combos.  The only difference with juggles is that it's more obvious what the "frame advantage" is, since it's essentially the falling rate of the character.

NOTE: The above is essentially in UFE terms.  Links in Street Fighter terms means essentially the Frame Advantage definition I gave above.  So if you're thinking in SF terms, just be aware of some of the switched definitions.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hmm, lets say I would like to make a Batman style "combo", using only one button, button 1 for example. How would I need to set it up?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Batman Arkham style is all chain links in UFE.  The trick is that they're all the same button, so you need to specify when each move can come out.

The simplest fighting game example is Fei Long's rekka ken moves.  He has 3 of them, but the 2nd will only come out after the 1st, and the 3rd only after the 2nd.  To achieve this in UFE, for the 2nd attack we specify the 1st attack in Required Moves - this prevents the 2nd attack from being executed unless it is part of a chain combo after the first attack.  We do the same for the 3rd move (required move: 2nd attack).

Thumbs up Thumbs down