1 (edited by Aim 2014-08-21 14:09:36)

Topic: Character stuck in the ground

So I'm experiencing an issue where my character is halfway in the ground. It's almost like it is using the root joint instead of the feet to place him on the ground plane.

My character is rigged with Mixamo auto rigger. I was able to get it working using Mixamo library animations but when I took it into Maya and made my own custom animations and brought it back in, that's when I started having this issue.

Also, my import is set to Humanoid for the rig and so are all the animations I'm using.

http://aimdiab.com/wip/characters_in_ground.jpg

Edit: Also I realize there are other posts about very similar problems on the forums, I've looked at them all, none of them proved helpful in this case.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Character stuck in the ground

This has happened with me too. It's not an issue with UFE but a Unity thing. I used 3DS Max though.

If you compare the original Mixamo rigged character with the one you got from Maya the hierarchy is probably different. On the original model I guess the clothes are child objects of the human model. But on the Maya version they're not child objects anymore, and that's why it gets messed up in Unity.

How to avoid that in Maya I have no idea since I've never used it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah it looks like the mixamo maya control rig script changes the hierarchy and naming convention. What's your workflow for correcting this issue in 3dsmax? I'm familiar with 3dsmax so maybe I can derive a solution for Maya.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So here's what happened with me and how I fixed it. BTW I did not use Mixamo characters.

On the original character all clothes and props were child objects of the human mesh. And that's how it should be.
But when I modified it in 3DS Max and exported to FBX all clothing and props became root objects for some reason. I don't know why 3DS Max did that.

Then when you try to use that character in Unity you get the results you see.

To fix it I added a dummy object to the scene in 3DS Max. Don't know about Maya but in 3DS Max you have a Helper object called a Dummy, it's an empty box. I just put the dummy object into the scene, export to FBX and then it works in Unity.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So do you parent the meshes to the dummy object you create or do you literally make a dummy object and then export it along with everything else?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No you don't parent them to the dummy object. The dummy object and your model should both be in the root and you export the whole scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down