Topic: Specific Hit Reaction via opponent override

Hey guys,  I have a quick question involving overriding hit animations with a very specific hit reactions for all of the characters in my game.

Example, I have animated a strong side kick and I have a hit reaction that will be used for all of the characters (high kick stagger). How do I set this up as an opponent override so the character can use the custom animation as a reaction?

Re: Specific Hit Reaction via opponent override

Bump

I'm not 100% sure that it's possible in the current engine.

Opponent Override is overriding the opponent as soon as a move's animation frame gets to a certain point regardless of it hitting or not. Mainly useful for Throws and Cinematics.

What you'd be looking to do is funcitonally what only a throw is able to do. You'd have a move which would be the animation if it doesn't connect with the opponent, and then upon hitting (Active Frames > Hit > Throw Move Confirm) it will perform another of the same character's moves which is set up to do the Opponent Override when performing the "Throw Landed" animation.

So let's assume you could get an attack into that state, you'd have the animation of the attack whiffing (base animation let's say with frame data 5(2)16), from there you'd need an animation of the recovery frames which are the last 16 frames of the animation to be its own move with no active. That recovery frame move has an Opponent Override that plays another move file that has the 'being hit' animation with no active frames either. Also, be aware that that situation would also require you to set the positioning from the attacking player to move the opponent to when the hit occurs.

So it WOULD be possible if this feature wasn't limited to Throws at the moment. Note, you could get it to work if you have a throwable collision box whereever the opponent's hurt boxes are, but you'd again be falling victim to the properties of a default throw which means they'd be unblockable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MrPonton wrote:

I'm not 100% sure that it's possible in the current engine.

Opponent Override is overriding the opponent as soon as a move's animation frame gets to a certain point regardless of it hitting or not. Mainly useful for Throws and Cinematics.

What you'd be looking to do is funcitonally what only a throw is able to do. You'd have a move which would be the animation if it doesn't connect with the opponent, and then upon hitting (Active Frames > Hit > Throw Move Confirm) it will perform another of the same character's moves which is set up to do the Opponent Override when performing the "Throw Landed" animation.

So let's assume you could get an attack into that state, you'd have the animation of the attack whiffing (base animation let's say with frame data 5(2)16), from there you'd need an animation of the recovery frames which are the last 16 frames of the animation to be its own move with no active. That recovery frame move has an Opponent Override that plays another move file that has the 'being hit' animation with no active frames either. Also, be aware that that situation would also require you to set the positioning from the attacking player to move the opponent to when the hit occurs.

So it WOULD be possible if this feature wasn't limited to Throws at the moment. Note, you could get it to work if you have a throwable collision box whereever the opponent's hurt boxes are, but you'd again be falling victim to the properties of a default throw which means they'd be unblockable.

True... and that would not be good...hopefully UFE 2.0 corrects this since other 2.5D fighters have this covered. The worst I could do is add a crapload of custom moves in the moveset for every character and hopefully get it working. I have a move I will be creating called "Satellite Dropkick", where on the initial animation, it is just the dropkick with no contact. Then I will have another version of this move where the opponent will be hit and the attacker flips away after the kick...

I am glad I am not getting too crazy with these moves...yet.