Topic: Mecanim vs Legacy?

Hi, I have this question since the beginning of my working with UFE. As far as I can remember Legacy was something like "totally custom animation set up" or something alike. In my project the Legacy character system looks better because it mirrors the rigs perfectly, but I can't help but worry if it's ok. Is there anything should I know about using one system or another? Can something "bad" happen if I don't use the Mecanim?
Thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Mecanim vs Legacy?

The only "bad" thing that could happen is that your animations cannot be mirrored to other characters with different models, but if you have animations unique to each of your characters, then it's okay to use Legacy.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Twrmois wrote:

The only "bad" thing that could happen is that your animations cannot be mirrored to other characters with different models, but if you have animations unique to each of your characters, then it's okay to use Legacy.

All the models and animations are custom, but is intended to attach some animations to different rigs (e.g. the walk back animation to be used for all the rigs). Should this be a problem then?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4 (edited by nx 2018-06-20 09:04:52)

If you want to use an animation clip on two or more different rigs then you're forced to use Mecanim animation system. When played, the legacy animation applied directly to the rig and mecanim animations applied to the avatar. The avatar is the object holding the mapping of the virtual bones to the real rigs bones. Animation is played on those virtual bones and animator can map their positions and rotations to the real bones of any rig. You just need to configure  bone mappings, but this is done automagically for most of the humanoid rigs.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

nx wrote:

If you want to use an animation clip on two or more different rigs then you're forced to use Mecanim animation system. When played, the legacy animation applied directly to the rig and mecanim animations applied to the avatar. The avatar is the object holding the mapping of the virtual bones to the real rigs bones. Animation is played on those virtual bones and animator can map their positions and rotations to the real bones of any rig. You just need to configure  bone mappings, but this is done automagically for most of the humanoid rigs.

Sorry I messed up explaining. The same rig will be applied to some characters so they could share basic animations. Is this ok then in legacy? Mecanim won't mirror the rigs correctly in my case. Thanks for the explanation!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yes, I believe using the same rig for your models ought to be able to share the same animations without issue.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A thousand thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down