Topic: UFE for noobz

hello to all, excited to be here on forums and to possibly use UFE for our
comic book universe..with that, I have plan to be a man of a thousand questions
for those who have time for a newb, any insight is greatly appreciated

newb question #1 - if i have a 3-d modeled character, rigged and all, is that all i need to
import my own characters to get started?

newb question #2 - we can rely strictly on UFE for animations? with the option to import our own animations?

thanks in advance guys!

"Battle Hard" - Trilateral

Re: UFE for noobz

Hi and welcome!

1: Yes, you can use your own 3D models (that's kind of the point wink).  If the character is rigged with a standard FK rig (*), then it should be Mecanim compatible (generally, you'll want Mecanim over Legacy animation system).  From there, following the tutorial on hitbox and character setup would be all you need to do.

* I'm not sure if IK is supported, but I think it might be.

2: You can use only UFE animations if you want.  But there's only 1-2 character's worth of moves included.  Also, 1 character included is Legacy system, so you might not even be able to use those moves (if your character's rig isn't the exact same rig).  Adding in your own animations at anytime isn't a problem, and of course they can co-exist with the default animations.

I recommend getting up to speed on Unity basics and importing a 3D model to use in a standard game.  There are many tutorials on the Unity website showing the workflow for getting 3D rigged characters into a game and working.  The import process for UFE is pretty much exactly the same (probably even easier actually), but understanding this fundamental step will help greatly when you're making your game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thanks, i will be back!

having some issues, with my model in the scene view, and him only having one arm
and remaining black and white, the colored texture isn't being applied to the model?

when attempting to play game i get:

object reference not set to an instance of an object?

...also when i get to title screen, once i press start

the character select screen flashes but than is forced right back to scene view?

OK, first thing.  Have you tried playing the game without your character?  Just to confirm the default UFE setup is working for you.

For adding your own characters, have you gone through some Unity tutorials yet?  If so, have you seen the hitboxes setup video on our video tutorials page?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

actually i am trying to play now without my character, i see the character select screen but
there seems to be a grey overlay on it, so I'm unable to do anything

...as far adding characters i went thru tutorials, got it as far as my character on the select screen, but somehow i backtracked

Are you missing any characters in Global Options | Characters?

I would suggest a complete reinstall of UFE to make sure everything is set up right.  Start the game without changing anything to check it's all OK, and then you can start working on adding your character in...

But before that even, I'd start an empty Unity project and just import your character correctly to make sure that works.  Missing an arm and not having textures is a problem regardless of UFE, so it's worth sorting that out before continuing. 

What 3D software package is your character created in?  Generally there's no problems with 3DS Max, Maya or Blender.  Other packages should work, as long as you can export into an FBX file and the model meets the normal requirements for game development.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ok, i will give a reinstall a shot

and, the character was done in blender

i only have one character, and that is demo character

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  Are there any empty slots in Global Options | Characters?  That could cause odd select screen behaviour.

Blender is fully compatible.  I would suggest importing your character into an empty Unity project.  If it works in that, it will work in UFE.

If you haven't already, you should do the Unity beginner tutorials.  Specifically, Project Panel and Importing.

Let me know if you still have problems after that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My question is that I made my character into a legacy character even placed Legacy_Tom for example & even added the animations but I get this issue, UFE skipped the proper way to add a custom character IO tried legacy & even humanoid

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
LegacyControl.AddClip (UnityEngine.AnimationClip clip, System.String newName, Single speed, WrapMode wrapMode, Single length)
MoveSetScript.attachAnimation (UnityEngine.AnimationClip clip, System.String animName, Single speed, WrapMode wrapMode, Single length)
MoveSetScript.attachAnimation (UnityEngine.AnimationClip clip, System.String animName, Single speed, WrapMode wrapMode)
MoveSetScript.setBasicMoveAnimation (.BasicMoveInfo basicMove, System.String animName, BasicMoveReference basicMoveReference)
MoveSetScript.fillMoves ()
MoveSetScript.ChangeMoveStances (CombatStances newStance)
MoveSetScript.Awake ()

The animation state moveForward could not be played because it couldn't be found!
Please attach an animation clip with the name 'moveForward' or call this function only for existing animations.
UnityEngine.Animation:CrossFade(String, Single)
LegacyControl:Play(LegacyAnimationData, Single, Single)
LegacyControl:Play(String, Single, Single)
MoveSetScript:PlayAnimation(String, Single, Single)
MoveSetScript:PlayAnimation(String, Single)
MoveSetScript:PlayBasicMove(BasicMoveInfo, String, Single, Boolean, Boolean)
MoveSetScript:PlayBasicMove(BasicMoveInfo, String, Single)
MoveSetScript:PlayBasicMove(BasicMoveInfo, String, Boolean)
MoveSetScript:PlayBasicMove(BasicMoveInfo, String)
MoveSetScript:PlayBasicMove(BasicMoveInfo)
PhysicsScript:ApplyForces(MoveInfo)
ControlsScript:DoFixedUpdate()
UFE:FixedUpdate()

Thumbs up Thumbs down