Topic: How To Setup 2xBox Controllers Using UFE & Unity Input

Hi,

I am hoping someone will be kind enough to guide me on this as I am unable to get it working without "Player" erratic outcomes. Basically I would like to use 2 Xbox Controllers with UFE as One controller and the keyboard works fine (but that is not an ideal game play situation for a man and his mistress in bed as playing with two controllers fits that play scenario far better...LOL!

OK! jokes apart, does anyone know how to setup Unity's Input manager to work with UFE having two Xbox Controllers? Each time I try I get erratic behavior on both players sometimes one player will not move while the other moves occasionally by itself when in player vs player mode. Yes! I know you have 3rd Party alternatives such ReWired and Control Freak but I would like to keep it simple as from experience working with what Unity provides can sometimes save headaches as the game runs on-top of unity in the first place.

If there is anyone out there in space and time that can provide a step-by-step guidance that would be much appreciated by both myself  and the mistress (who prefers playing games in bed to a table-top and because of that is threatening for divorce even though we are not married!) so any help is more than welcome...LOL!

Peace
Fuquan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: How To Setup 2xBox Controllers Using UFE & Unity Input

Go to asset store
Get "Controller Tester" it's free

Plug in both controllers

Open controllertest scene

And pick up one of the controllers

Press play on unity

When you press a button on the controler one of the numbers on the right will say positive.

So if it's 0

I'm the input manager to get this button you want to type "Joystick1Button0" for player 1 and change the 1 to 2 for player 2.

Also the Left and right triggers are Axis not buttons on Xbox.

So when you press them it show up on the left side. As axis 3 and axis 9 or 10 (at least for mine)

To set a button for this
Check to see if axis 3 is positive or negative

For me Right trigger is positive axis 3 so I type

Joy1 Axis 3+ (for right trigger)
Joy1 Axis 3- (for left)
Change the 1 to 2 for the other player.

Left and right move ment check your analog forward and backwards. It will show up as one axis.

When writing the axis uss the same format as the triggers
Joy1 Axis 1+
Change the last number accordingly and change + or - as needed

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

3 (edited by fuquan999 2018-08-20 09:45:23)

Dear xFTLxKingPhoenix,

I have tried setting the Input as suggested but first problem unity does not accept  the format you suggested as the only format it accepts is (joystick button 0) and it is even fussy about the space in between each word.

Having tried different input settings the most I get is each controller controller the two players which is not the ideal situation desired. Even when you specifically tell Unity in the "Joy Num" to use a specific Joystick it still does not work. I am a bit stunted for ideas on this. As it should be straight-forward but somehow it is not.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be appreciated. UFE actually does come with a default Input layout but Player two is set to use Keyboard, When you change the settings of player two to have Alt Positive Button use the appropriate button (which ControllerTester diislays) and then try putting Joy Num to a specific Joystick it does not work. If someone has a working setup that would be helpful to see what they have done.

Thanks once more for the swift response

Fuquan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's better to actually reply instead of editing your post I almost Completely missed this post.

As for how to fix this
Add me on Skype
Aceofspades159
I'll be able to fix this

It's easier if you bite the bullet and buy cinput but I can help you fix it in just unity input

Eternal Rift Studios
    Current Projects:
         Destined Soels
Always happy to help when possible. If its something pretty minor ill just help you out. But i do commissions as well. Hit me up if you need a commission.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks xFTLxKingPhoenix,

Skype details fuquan.idris. However, I actually have setup the Input Manager (using the convention such as joystick 2 button 1 as only this structure gets accepted by input manager on the positive button field) to work with both Xbox controllers as one works normal but the second one works but the player moves by itself. Also I did contact "Dans Games" (Control Freak) and he recommended I use Rewired instead of CF.

I would have included images of the input manger setup but cant seem to find where to attach an image file. But like I said it works now but with that rather irritating horizontal self-movement of the first controller that occurs during game play when in player vs player mode. I have not had spare time to really try and figure out why the self-movement but once I can free up time I will aim to find out why the controller does that.

Peace
Fuquan

Thumbs up Thumbs down