Topic: Understanding Networking

Hi,

I'm just wondering how the Photon networking works and the ramifications on costs.

Does UFE connect to Photon for the machmaking and then disconnect or does it remain connected? Obviously CCU is the worry here.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Understanding Networking

UFE uses Photon for both Matchmaking and for player connection. When it comes to my project when we first launched we may have went over the 20 ccu limit on the free tier once. I believe in order for this to happen 20 players would have to be all playing at once.

To be very honest with you I believe Photon causes an overhead in the connection and causes lag, the netcode could be the best ever but if packet loss happens then the game could desync very quickly. Plus Photon's regions are locked so if you keep best region settings on then if you want to fight someone on the west coast while on the east coast you won't find that players game.

In our next update I was able to get steam's p2p connection to work within our game won't know if this helps are lag problem till I release it and hear feedback from our users.

I have read in many places that rollback netcode works best if the connection is completely peer to peer with photon all your users are connecting to a master server. So the data has to travel more has to come from you to the master server then back to your opponent then back to you.

In closing in order to use steam p2p you must go through the process of getting your game on steam to obtain an app id.

Terrordrome Reign of the Legends Out now on Steam!!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291 … e_Legends/
Terrordrome Project Manager

Thanks for the reply!

I've been looking into using Mirror instead of Photon. There are some guides to migrating existing UNET projects over to Mirror. I started work on this but I'm just not experienced enough with networking and quickly got stuck.

Your game looks awesome by the way.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tried to do the same thing in order for UFE to work with Mirror a class has to be created that has a class inheritance to MessageBase. I was trying to use the script that was in the old Unet connector api but the byte[] data from SendNetworkMessage would never reach UFE's OnMessage Event.

Terrordrome Reign of the Legends Out now on Steam!!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291 … e_Legends/
Terrordrome Project Manager

Is UFE's rollback the same with GGPO's? I'm seeing a lot of posts in r/fighters saying they want rollback in their games and I'm wondering if UFE's version is the same. Just a question since I'm thinking of releasing my mobile game to steam.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

acidfmhq wrote:

Tried to do the same thing in order for UFE to work with Mirror a class has to be created that has a class inheritance to MessageBase. I was trying to use the script that was in the old Unet connector api but the byte[] data from SendNetworkMessage would never reach UFE's OnMessage Event.

I also tried using the old UNET Connector but had issues too. For someone who knows more about mirror/networking this might be fairly trivial. sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xHerox wrote:

Is UFE's rollback the same with GGPO's? I'm seeing a lot of posts in r/fighters saying they want rollback in their games and I'm wondering if UFE's version is the same. Just a question since I'm thinking of releasing my mobile game to steam.

GGPO is just a branded rollback as far as I'm aware. The developer of GGPO came up with it. When people talk about GGPO they're essentially talking about a rollback system which UFE has. So you could say that your game has GGPO as people know what that is.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

xHerox wrote:

As derkoi suggested, rollback is rollback. UFE does not use GGPO's code base, but they are doing the same thing: Storing input information for each frame, recognizing if there is a desync, using a deterministic system to calculate if there has been a desync once the peer's input actually does make it to the network, and if there has it will roll back and simulate the game up to the current playable frame in lock step. Mind you, Unity's system isn't deterministic, so a lot of the effort in getting UFE to support rollback required making a custom physics system under the hood that wraps around Unity's.

As far as I understand at least.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

derkoi wrote:

So you could say that your game has GGPO as people know what that is.

I would caution against this. Only as a marketing reason I mean. Since UFE doesn't use the GGPO code and GGPO is its own brand, it would be false advertising to say it's using GGPO. I would suggest using the generic term of Rollback Netcode to avoid issues with angry customers.

For example, Fight of Animals is a project that released on steam using UFE2, so it advertised that it had Rollback Netcode and not GGPO.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MrPonton wrote:
derkoi wrote:

So you could say that your game has GGPO as people know what that is.

I would caution against this. Only as a marketing reason I mean. Since UFE doesn't use the GGPO code and GGPO is its own brand, it would be false advertising to say it's using GGPO. I would suggest using the generic term of Rollback Netcode to avoid issues with angry customers.

For example, Fight of Animals is a project that released on steam using UFE2, so it advertised that it had Rollback Netcode and not GGPO.

That's true. I was thinking more in conversation, for example "It's has rollback netcode", "What's that?", "Have you heard of GGPO? It's the same kind of thing"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah, I took what you said that way, but I wanted to clarify especially for those on the forum who aren't fluent in English.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MrPonton wrote:

Oh yeah, I took what you said that way, but I wanted to clarify especially for those on the forum who aren't fluent in English.

Good point!

Thumbs up Thumbs down